De-eelicous dinner that’s easy to prepare and ready in under 45 minutes! Chicken Tortilla Rice Skillet is a wonderful dish inspired by one of my favorite soups and holds all it’s great flavors.
I can’t believe that I haven’t used my skillet in like a month…that’s not good! This whole week, I was itching to pull out my skillet and make something yummy. (Don’t “look” at me like that, you know I have a big-time addiction to my cast iron skillets.)
I’ve actually been craving Chicken Tortilla soup this week but realized that I already made two soups in five days. When the Fall comes, I tend to get a little soup-happy. So I found an awesome way to satisfy my craving without making another soup. Plus I got a great new dish out of it.
You will love how easy this whole thing is to make. All you have to do is combine all ingredients, except for chicken and toppings, in a skillet and pop it in the oven. Cook chicken in the pan and toast some tortilla strips.
Why did I sear the chicken instead on cooking it with rice? Mostly because I love a nice sear on meats. It brings so much more flavor to meat and gives it that nice, crispiness on the outside.
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
Chicken Tortilla Rice Skillet
- 1 cup of sweet corn
- 1 cup of black beans
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup of rice I used jasmine
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Crashed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- salt chili powder
- Topping: fresh cilantro and toasted tortilla strips 2 large tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine corn, beans, diced onion, diced tomatoes, minced jalapeno, rice, stock, cilantro, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Stir and transfer the mixture into a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Make sure that rice and veggies are evenly distributed throughout the skillet.
- Place it in the oven for 30-35 minutes, carefully stirring after about 20 minutes.
- While rice and veggies are cooking, sear chicken tenders with some salt and chili powder on stove top over medium heat. Dice chicken when it cools enough to be handled.
- To toast tortillas: slice two large tortillas into thin strips, about 2 inches long. Spread them on an ungreased cookie sheet and toast them in the oven until golden, about 2-4 minutes.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Zucchini Bacon Rice Casserole from Roxana’s Home Baking
Three Ingredient Spanish Rice from Oh, Sweet Basil
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole from Mom On Timeout
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with Bacon from Picky Palate
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!