What makes homemade pizza awesome? That would be homemade dough! I’m sharing a recipe for a homemade pizza dough made with Parmesan and fresh basil.
Pizza is one of my husband’s favorite meals. I won’t lie, I love it too. Our favorite is New York style pizza but it’s pretty hard to find a really good take out, NY style pizza here. Hubby is so very picky about his pizza though, that I decided to try making it myself instead of spending $20 for something he wouldn’t love.
After I made my own pizza dough the first time, he really liked it. Of course, I don’t think that it was as good as a true NY pizza, but I came pretty darn close. Since then, I started experimenting with dough flavors as well. Parmesan is one of our favorite flavors for crust and his favorite cheese. No joke, he could put Parmesan on a shoe and eat it. My basil is also growing like a weed now, so I added some fresh basil. It turned out awesome!
- 1 cup of warm water (not hot)
- 1 packet of active dry yeast (1.4 oz)
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2½ -3 cups of flour (may need a little extra for dusting of surface)
- ½ cup of dry Parmesan Cheese
- 10 basil leaves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Little bit of olive oil to rub on the bowl
- (Yellow cornmeal for baking)
- Place the active dry yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water, honey and olive oil. Stir well and let it bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt, Parmesan cheese and minced basil. Mix the dough with a wooden spoon at first and then use your bands until ingredients are combined. Add the other ½ cup of flour and knead the dough until combined.
- Lightly flour some counter surface and transfer your dough onto the floured surface (if dough is too sticky, you may need to add a little bit more flour (about ¼ cup.)) Knead the dough until smooth. It will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Rub a clean bowl with some olive oil and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rise in a warm place (away from draft or AC is fine) until doubled in size, about 1- 1½ hours.
- When ready, take out the dough and knead it for about a minute until smooth. Let the dough rest for about 20 minutes while you preheat your oven. (400 degrees)
- (If you are not baking it right away, cover it air- tight and refrigerate.)
- Roll out the dough and place it onto a pizza stone that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. (You can use any pizza baking sheet)
- Add toppings of your choice and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), or follow me through | Facebook| Twitter| Pinterest|
Don’t miss any new posts and recipes from me, subscribe to E-MAIL! Just enter your email in the side bar, you will receive an email for confirmation. Confirm and you are all subscribed! HUGS!
Remember to come back and link up to my party on Saturday night!!
I will be sharing this recipe at the wonderful parties in my party tab + Weekend Potluck, Thirty Handmade Days, and Rattlebridge Farm. Swing by and link up your own projects!