Father’s Day week continues with Bacon & Cheese Savory Bread! It’s a soft, moist and delicious bread made with crispy bacon and sharp white cheddar cheese!
Originally, I wanted to make a “Dad” kind of muffins for breakfast, for my husband. I thought that savory muffins with bacon and cheese would be perfect to wake up to. Apparently, I was wrong!
“Muffins are just not manly!”
That’s what my hubby said to me. Haha, I didn’t ever realize that muffins were not manly. So I suggested savory bread and he was happy about that.
I got some nice applewood smoked bacon and baked it for a couple extra minutes to give it a nice crisp. I also got some extra sharp white cheddar for a more flavor.
Bacon lovers are guaranteed to be in food heaven! The bread didn’t last two full days between the little man and the big man!
Bacon & Cheese Savory Bread
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of bread flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 oz of cubed extra sharp white cheddar
- 10 crispy bacon strips chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tbs virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Some chopped green onion for sprinkling on top
- 1 more chopped bacon strip for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8x4 inch bread pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the crispy bacon and cubed white cheddar to the four and mix until all incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Transfer the dough into the bread pan and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped green onion and bacon bits over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.