I have a delicious new scone recipe to share with you as well as a collection of 50, Yes Fifty, key lime recipes. These Strawberry Key Lime Scones are perfect, they are soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside and full of strawberry and citrus flavor!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram.
You probably noticed how much I LOVE key lime recipes. I patiently wait every year for the key limes to arrive at the supermarket. This year I waited for too long. It has been a pretty bad year for key lime crops in Mexico, so key limes have been in short supply and much more expensive. I probably ran to the store every other day, for three weeks trying to get some. I finally got some and made these delicious scones.
I originally planned on making a cake roll (and I still plan to) but after gathering all my ingredients, they suddenly called for scones. You know that you supposed to listen to your ingredients and they will tell you what they want to be. NO, not literally…that would be crazy. I don’t hear ingredients talk to me and if you do, well you should probably get that checked. (Hehe.)
These strawberries and key limes were right! They were perfect as scones…
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
- 3½ cups of flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅔ cup of sugar
- 2 cold eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cup diced strawberries
- Zest from 2 key limes
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Eggwash: 1 egg white + 1 tsp water
- Sugar for sprinkling (preferable vanilla sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease it lightly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Dice strawberries and set aside. Zest key limes and set aside.
- Chop cold butter into small slices and add to dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients and butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, sugar and buttermilk together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture while mixing on low speed.
- Add diced strawberries and key lime zest. Still on low speed, mix until just combined.
- Take dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times (10-15 seconds), until smooth.
- Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1½ inches thick in the center but thinner on the outer edge. Cut the circle like a pie, into 8 pieces.
- Transfer the slices of dough onto a baking sheet.
- Whisk egg white and water and brush the scones with the egg-wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes. Break one scone to make sure that it's done but still nice and soft in the middle.
I also wanted to put together a collection of some wonderful key lime treats. There are so many bloggers out there that have many delightful key lime recipes and I compiled fifty of the best ones!
Note** If you are having trouble finding key limes, you can make many of these recipes using regular limes. It’s not the same but it will be close enough for you to indulge in this deliciousness!
Click on each photo below to take you to the actual recipe. Pin recipes from their original site. OR Click image above to pin entire collection!