These Strawberry Key Lime Scones are perfect for spring and summer baking. They are soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside, and full of fresh strawberry and citrus flavor.
You probably noticed how much I LOVE key lime recipes. I patiently wait every year for the key limes to arrive at the supermarket. This year I waited for too long. It has been a pretty bad year for key lime crops in Mexico, so key limes have been in short supply and much more expensive. I probably ran to the store every other day, for three weeks trying to get some. I finally got some and made these delicious scones.
I originally planned on making a cake roll (and I still plan to) but after gathering all my ingredients, they suddenly called for scones. You know that you supposed to listen to your ingredients and they will tell you what they want to be. NO, not literally…that would be crazy. I don’t hear ingredients talk to me and if you do, well you should probably get that checked. (Hehe.)
These strawberries and key limes were right! They were perfect as scones…
Strawberry Key Lime Scones
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter chopped
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 cold eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 2 key limes - Zest
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white for brushing
- Sugar for sprinkling preferable vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease it lightly.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Dice strawberries and set aside. Zest key limes and set aside.
- Chop cold butter into small slices and add to dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients and butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, sugar and buttermilk together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture while mixing on low speed.
- Add diced strawberries and key lime zest. Still on low speed, mix until just combined.
- Take dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times (10-15 seconds), until smooth.
- Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2 inches thick in the center but thinner on the outer edge. Cut the circle like a pie, into 8 pieces.
- Transfer the slices of dough onto a baking sheet.
- Whisk egg white and water and brush the scones with the egg-wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes. Break one scone to make sure that it's done but still nice and soft in the middle.