Amazing grilled cheese that’s packed with flavor favorites, pepper bacon, blue cheese crumbles, red onion and white cheddar. It’s all spiced with fresh clacked peppercorns for an additional pop.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
I can’t let this month go by without sharing some wonderful grilled cheese ideas. After all, it’s National Grilled Cheese Month! It’s the only month of the year, where I abide by the “national month/day of…” rules. I love, love, love grilled cheeses and share some new idea with out each April. This year, I have two or three recipes up my sleeve and we will start with hub’s favorite.
I actually made a giant list of grilled cheese possibilities and let hubs choose some he wanted to try, and then I chose some I liked. Then I had to narrow it down quite a bit because if I made them all, the whole month would be filled with nothing but grilled cheese recipes. And I’m sure you want to see a little more from me that just a bunch of grilled cheeses.
So you can probably guess why this sandwich caught my husband’s eye, and very quickly too. It’s loaded with crispy bacon, red onions, blue cheese crumbles and sharp white cheddar cheese. It’s like a man’s dream grilled cheese. Not to mention that bacon and grilled cheese itself is “peppered” with fresh-cracked peppercorns.
After this grilled cheese was devoured, I asked him how it compared to Bourbon Bacon, Mushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese and Steak & Onion Grilled Cheese, since those two have been huge hits with him in the past. To tell you the truth, he couldn’t choose one to be on top. All three have something that makes them special and a total “man bait.” (Although, he did try to get me to make all three at the same time, so he could line them up and see which one wins. May be some day, when we are starving for lot’s of grilled cheese sandwiches, I’ll do that.)
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (I used Italian loaf)
- Fresh cracked peppercorns
- 4-6 slices of pepper bacon
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced
- 3-4 oz sharp white cheddar, sliced (you can slice a block of cheese)
- 2 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- For bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, covering it entirely and up the sides. (Optional: Place a wire rack in the baking sheet and lightly spray it with cooking spray. But you can also cook bacon right in the baking sheet, without the rack.) Lay out bacon strips on top of aluminum foil (or the wire rack), season generously with fresh cracked peppercorns, and cook for 15-25 minutes. (Time will depend on the thickness of the bacon. The thicker the bacon slices, the longer it will take.) Keep an eye on it.
- (You can cook bacon ahead of time and store it covered in the refrigerator.)
- About half way through bacon cooking, you can throw in onion slices right on top of bacon, to cook them. (Or you can choose to saute the onions separately, in the pan, on stove-top.)
- Take out the baking pan with bacon once it's done and lay bacon slices on a paper towel.
- Heat up a medium cooking pan, over medium heat, on stove-top.
- Lightly grease one side of each bread slice with your choice or either butter, margarine, olive oil, or cooking spray. Season each greased side of bread with fresh-cracked peppercorn and lay both slices greased-side down in the cooking pan.
- Divide white cheddar cheese between the two slices of bread, covering it evenly.
- Add blue cheese crumbles, onions and bacon, all on one slice. Cover it with the other slice once cheese starts to melt. (That way your cheese slices won't fly all over the pan.)
- Cook on both sides until all the cheese is melted.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Tasty Recipes From Me: