Soft, comforting banana muffins made with an addition of avocado, orange essence, and topped with sweet, orange flavored streusel. Avocado adds wonderful texture and health benefit to these muffins and the flavor combination of is divine.
Avocado Banana Muffins
Want a new breakfast idea? We all need something new because cereal is getting a little redundant.
I’ve got a delicious new muffin idea for you. Muffins make a great breakfast for everyone during those crazy mornings and it’s also a great after school snack. These banana muffins are made with avocado, a touch of orange zest, and an orange streusel topping.
These muffins are not just heavenly in texture but also heavenly in flavor. You would know if as soon as you make some and try it! Unless, of course, you don’t like bananas.
What? People don’t like bananas? Yes, there are quite a few people who don’t like bananas out there. I was just as shocked when I found out last week that there are people who actually don’t like bananas.
I made a big batch of these avocado banana muffins last week and sent most of them to work with my husband. His work crew have been my taste test group for many, many years and I love getting the feedback from them. I couldn’t wait to hear what everyone thought of these muffins. Then, my husband sent me a message and told me that those who ate them, loved them and the muffins were all gone.
What did he mean by “those who ate them?” Well, turns out that there were quite a few people who do not eat bananas! I was shocked … and a little sad. That means they never got to try banana pudding, or bananas foster, or banana cream pie. I can’t even imagine because those are some of my favorite desserts.
So these muffins are for you, those of you who love bananas as much as my family and I do.
IF YOU LIKE THESE MUFFINS, HERE ARE SOME MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LIKE:
A FEW OTHER EASY BREAKFAST IDEAS YOU FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT:
Monkey Bread Muffins – Wonky Wonderful
Breakfast Sliders – Mom Endeavors
Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins – The Salty Marshmallow
Baked French Toast Muffins – Two Peas and Their Pod
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Avocado Banana Muffins
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- Zest from 1/2 large orange
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour + 1 Tbsp
- 2½ Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, orange zest and flour. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Pour in melted butter and carefully fold it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- Mash bananas and avocado meat very well in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in eggs, vanilla extract, milk, orange zest, and sugar. Whisk until all evenly incorporated.
- Add flour and baking soda. Mix it until all incorporated.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Generously sprinkle streusel over the muffin batter in the cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. (Do a toothpick test in the middle of a muffin to make sure they're cooked through.)
- Take the muffins out of the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before taking them out of the pan.