Such a delicious side salad. This salad is made with fresh Brussels sprouts, crispy bacon, blue cheese crumbles and dressed in a warm bacon vinaigrette.
I saw the funniest meme this Saturday night, it was from Cinderella and it said “and at the stroke of midnight, Halloween will turn into Christmas.” That is so true because when we walked into Target the day after Halloween, it was Christmas time overnight.
I don’t know what’s the hurry. I refuse to even think about Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. Remember Thanksgiving? It’s still here. We still need to get together with the whole family (or two in many cases) and stuff ourselves to the brim with turkey, bread and lot’s of tasty sides. So let’s not jump to Christmas just yet, but talk about Thanksgiving menu planning.
I have many wonderful dishes planned this month, I will have side dishes, desserts, bread and breakfast all ready for you. So you have plenty of options when planning your menu.
I loved this salad! It’s crispy, fresh and packed with awesome flavors.
This is a fresh Brussels sprouts salad, so I recommend making it close to the time you will be serving it. If you absolutely set on making it ahead of time, make it the night before but don’t make the dressing until right before serving. If you let this salad sit in the fridge for too long and dressed, it will start to wilt. Bacon dressing will also be partially solidified and not as appetizing.
Bacon and Blue Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts just the heads
- 5 crispy bacon strips save the grease after baking bacon, you will need it for dressing
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 raw bacon strips
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease
- 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- I recommend cooking your bacon in the oven, bacon comes out much tastier that way and grease doesn't cook out, so you can save it.
- Slice Brussels sprouts as thin as you can. You can use a slicer attachment on a food processor if you have one, that might save you a lot of time.
- Place sliced Brussels sprouts in a mixing bowl and add blue cheese crumbles.
- Crumble crispy bacon and add it to the bowl as well. Set aside.
- Preheat a small cooking pan over medium heat.
- Dice 2 raw bacon strips and slice shallot thin.
- Add diced bacon to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add shallots and continue cooking until bacon is cooked. Add bacon grease.
- Add walnuts and saute for just a minute or two. Season with some salt.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and sugar and mix.
- Add the entire content of the pan to the bowl with vinegar and mix well.
- Add dressing to the bowl with Brussels sprouts and mix everything well. Season with some salt and transfer into a serving dish.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Honey Sriracha Roasted Brussels Sprouts from Shared Appetite
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash from Blogging Over Thyme
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Caramelized Onion from Cooking and Beer
Brussels Sprouts Gratin from Simply Recipes
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!