Creamy Corn Salad is a must make for your next barbecue or picnic! It’s a simple corn salad made with a creamy dressing, instead of vinegar-based, red onion, bell pepper, and parsley. This delicious corn salad is full of flavor, slightly sweet, creamy, and has a delightful little touch of spice.
Creamy Corn Salad
Is any backyard barbecue ever really complete without a side of corn? Whether it be corn on the cob or creamy corn salad, you need a trusty corn recipe to round out everyone’s plate. Lately, when I’m enjoying a grilled burger, ribs, and everything else grilled, I make this corn salad. Once you try it, I’m sure you’ll do the same!
With this recipe, I tell you not only how to make this mouthwatering creamy corn salad, but also the steps to preparing corn in different methods. These steps and methods are so important to having the tastiest corn salad!
It’s worth a mention that this corn salad is anything but boring. The colors are bright and vibrant as well and the flavors! Red onion has a potent but slightly sweet flavor that balances well with the sweet and juicy corn and bell pepper and seasonings. While also pairing beautifully with the other ingredients.
Ingredients for Creamy Corn Salad
- Corn on the Cob – For the best tasting salad, use corn on the cob. The difference in taste and texture is definitely there. (If you do have to use frozen corn, make sure to that it first and strain it.)
- Red Bell Pepper – vibrant color of the red bell peppers is great in the presentation of the salad.
- Red Onion – it’s a great onion for another color burst as well as flavor burst. The strong onion flavor of red onions is perfect for balancing the sweetness in this corn salad.
- Parsley – use fresh parsley, not dried. The fresh parsley will give the corn salad slightly herbaceous notes that blend well with the other flavors.
- Mayonnaise – You can use a regular full fat mayonnaise, or a low fat option. Either option will work!
- Sour Cream – Similarly to the mayonnaise, a low fat or full fat sour cream will get the job done.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This ingredient provides just the right amount of tanginess to the creamy corn salad.
- Paprika – I’m a big fan of paprika for the notes of spice, aroma, as well as sweet and savory elements. If you want to add a smoky element to the corn salad, use smoked paprika instead.
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground black pepper always has the most noticeable flavor.
- Sea Salt – I like using coarse sea salt but you can also use pink Himalayan, kosher, or table salt.
- Cayenne Pepper – Optional, but highly recommended ingredient! The cayenne pepper really adds a mouthwatering spicy kick to this sweet corn salad. Just a pinch will go far!
How to Cook Corn On The Cob
Cooking corn in a pot: Heat up a large pot of water over medium-high heat and season it generously with salt. Make sure to take off the husk and all the silk threads from the ears of corn before cooking.
Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat to medium-low and add corn. Cover the pot and let the corn cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Take all the corn out onto a cutting board and let it cool enough to be handled.
On the grill: Prepare your grill to have 2 temperature zones and make sure the grate is clean. Snip the silk whiskers sticking out of the top of the corn husk, but leave the rest of the corn in a husk.
Lay them on the grill and cook for 13-15 minutes, turning it every 3-4 minutes. Then, take corn off of the grill and carefully, using tongs or heat-proof gloves, take off the husk and the silk. Brush corn with a little oil and place back on the grill. Close the grill and cook for a few minutes, turning a quarter of the way every couple of minutes.
How to Cut Corn Off the Cob
Cut the small part off of the bottom to make the cob stand up easier and place it inside a wide rimmed baking dish. This way, the kernels don’t fly all over the counter! Then, carefully cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife from top to bottom, following the natural curve of the cob.
How to Make Creamy Corn Salad
Add all of the prepared ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, and vinegar in a separate bowl. Then, pour the creamy mixture over the prepared salad ingredients.
Mix everything together thoroughly. For best results, refrigerate the creamy corn salad for a few hours before serving.
Can I make creamy corn salad ahead of time?
Yes! In fact, it should be refrigerated for a couple of hours before servings. However, I don’t recommend making it more than a day ahead because the vegetables will start to soften and release a lot of extra liquid. For best results, prepare the corn and mix it with vegetables ahead of time. Dress corn salad right before servings or a couple hours before serving.
Don’t Miss More Corn Recipes!
Creamed Corn – a beautiful, comforting side dish that is creamy and slightly sweet from natural corn sweetness
Corn Salsa – a little sweet, a little sour, and a little tangy made with sweet corn instead of tomato base but many of the same ingredients
Easy Cheesy Corn Fritters – crispy, cheesy little bites with a pleasant pop of sweetness from corn
Mexican Street Corn Salad – made with grilled corn, grilled poblano peppers, queso fresco, fresh herbs, and more.
Creamy Corn Salad
- 6 corn on the cob
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt more or less to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- Heat up a large pot of water over medium-high heat and season it generously with salt. Make sure to take off the husk and all the silk threads from the ears of corn before cooking.
- Once water starts to boil, lower the heat to medium-low and add corn. Cover the pot and let corn cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- Take all the corn out onto a cutting board and let it cool enough to be handled.
Cut Off Corn Kernels:
- To cut corn kernels off the cob, stand corn up in a large mixing bowl cut side down. Slice the kernels off with a sharp knife from top to bottom, close to the part where kernels attach to the cob. Turn the ear of corn and repeat slicing the kernels off all the way around.
To Make Corn Salad:
- Finely chop bell pepper and onion and try to keep the size small and uniform. Mince the parsley.
- Add corn, vegetables, and parsley into a large mixing bowl and mix it with mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Mix everything well and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
I love that you love it! 🙂
Approximately how many servings does this recipe make?
You can find the servings on the recipe card. This recipe makes about 6 servings. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Can’t wait to try this! My hubby may even eat it. Even better, first, thanks for the slide to change the servings. I am always looking for things that I can make for lunch for work. If I lower the servings to 4 for the corn and then add beans, farro or wheat berries for protein it would make a great lunch! YUM!
I hope you like it! 🙂
Can I use frozen corn?
Yes, just thaw it out and drain it out first. It won’t be as good because it tends to be a lot softer and chewer but it will work fine.
Wow is this good!! Made as a side with steak kabobs and rice and it was a hit with all my guests! I did add about 2tbsps of sugar just to give it a little sweetness and it was perfect. Will definitely be making this again!
If using frozen corn -how many cups or ounces will I need?
Hi, 6 ears of corn are ruffly 4 1/2 cups so that is how much frozen corn I would use.