Sweet and spicy Cajun Shrimp made on the grill and paired with grilled onions and peppers that’s also flavored with Cajun seasoning. Shrimp takes only a few minutes to grill and a few minutes to marinade. All together, these tasty grilled shrimp will take about 30 minutes to prepare and it’s perfect in tacos, salads, or served with some grilled vegetables.
CAJUN GRILLED SHRIMP
Shrimp is fantastic made on the grill. It only takes a few minutes to cook so you don’t have to keep your starving family waiting and smoke infused shrimp tastes divine.
Really, smoke infused everything tasted divine. If I could light coals with a press of a button and have them ashed and ready, I would be grilling breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. Shrimp and salmon would be my top favorite things to grill. It’s fast and seafood is wonderful off the grill.
Cajun shrimp is spicy and combined with smoky flavors of the grill, it’s great. Spicy and smokey on its own also doesn’t quite seem like enough though, so I like to add lime for a touch of citrus and honey to balance spicy with sweet. The combination of flavors is beautiful and it’s perfect on shrimp.
However I plan on serving the shrimp, I like to grill some peppers and onions alongside. Peppers and onions are seasoned with Cajun seasoning as well and compliments the dish great whether shrimp is served in tacos or with a side.
HOW TO GRILL SHRIMP
Shrimp will need only about 20 minutes to marinade so it’s the perfect time to prepare the coals and preheat the grill. If using wooden skewers to cook the shrimp, make sure to soak them for about 30 minutes before adding shrimp.
Combine cleaned, shelled, de-veined shrimp with Cajun seasoning, lime juice, and honey in a mixing bowl and mix well. Let it marinade while preparing the grill and starting the vegetables.
Slice onions and peppers into straws and mix with some Cajun seasoning. Grease a vegetable basket that has fine grate so that vegetables don’t fall through and spread onion and peppers in it.
When the grill is ready, start cooking the vegetables because it will take longer.
Skewer the shrimp into the wooden skewers but don’t pack them too tight. Drizzle remaining marinade on top of each shrimp skewer.
Spray both sides of the shrimp skewer with some oil and place it on the grill. Cook shrimp for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on the size of shrimp. Once shrimp turns completely opaque, it’s ready.
HOW TO SERVE CAJUN GRILLED SHRIMP
These grilled Cajun shrimp are fantastic in tacos, especially if you make onions and peppers along with the shrimp.
You can also make sandwich wraps with shrimp, vegetables, lettuce, and tomato. A citrus kind of dressing would work well in the wrap.
Top a dinner salad with Cajun shrimp and grilled vegetables and serve it with a citrus based dressing.
Leftover shrimp can be chopped and added to quesadillas with some Mexican cheese mix, tomatoes, onions and peppers.
And of course, you can serve these Cajun Grilled Shrimp as dinner with some grilled sides, mashed potatoes, or mixed with pasta.
CAN GRILLED SHRIMP BE REHEATED?
Yes it can! Even though seafood is never as good reheated as it is fresh, it can be reheated without making it completely chewy.
Don’t put seafood in a microwave because it’s such a high risk of overcooking it and making shrimp tough and chewy.
The best way to reheat this shrimp is in a pan, over medium heat. Preheat the cooking pan, add shrimp, onions, and peppers and cover with the lid. (You may or may not need to add a little oil to the pan.) Let it heat up, stirring a couple of times. When the shrimp is just hot, take it out of the pan right away.
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Cajun Grilled Shrimp
- 1.5 lbs shrimp cleaned and de-veined
- 2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 lime - juice only
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- salt* if seasoning does not contain salt
- If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for about 30 minutes before adding shrimp.
- Combine cleaned, shelled, de-veined shrimp with Cajun seasoning, lime juice, and honey in a mixing bowl and mix well. Let it marinade while preparing the grill and starting the vegetables.
- Slice onions and peppers into straws and mix with some oil and Cajun seasoning. Grease a vegetable basket that has fine grate so that vegetables don’t fall through and spread onion and peppers in it.
- Start to coals and once coals are ashed over, add vegetable basket to the grill. Let vegetables cook until half way done before adding shrimp to the grill.
- Skewer the shrimp onto the wooden skewers but don’t pack them too tight. Drizzle remaining marinade on top of each shrimp skewer.
- Spray both sides of the shrimp skewer with some oil and place it on the grill. Cook shrimp for about 4 minutes on each side, depending on the size of shrimp. Once shrimp turns completely opaque, it’s ready.
- Take shrimp and vegetables off the grill right away.