Stuffed peppers is a long time favorite family recipe. These stuffed peppers are packed with delicious chorizo and quinoa mixture and topped with crumbled fresco cheese.
What to do with a fridge full of bell peppers? Let’s make some stuffed peppers!
Do you ever go to the store and as you shop, you remember something you were out of and make sure to grab it? Of course you do, we all do, but apparently, I did that about 3 times! I kept thinking that I needed bell peppers for a recipe idea and bought some on three separate occasions. Every time I ran into the store for something, I suddenly remembered that I needed peppers but what I could not remember, is that I already got them…over and over.
While I was putting away the last peppers, I kicked myself as I saw a whole lot of peppers in the veggie crisper. “Oops, I did it again…” So what else am I to do but make some stuffed peppers for dinner?!
These peppers came out fabulous too! I love the combination of quinoa and chorizo. Corn adds a little burst of sweetness in each bite too, which is a nice balance of flavor. Fresco cheese is not very strong, that’s why it’s perfect because there is already a lot of flavor inside those peppers.
Chorizo and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1/2 lb chorizo
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Water for cooking quinoa
- 3-4 oz queso fresco crumbled
- Check directions on the bag of quinoa to see how much water to use for cooking quinoa. Bring water to boil over medium-high heat. Turn heat down to medium-low and add quinoa, pressed garlic, cumin, and salt. Stir, cover and simmer until quinoa is done. (Strain if you added too much water.)
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare chorizo. Preheat a medium cooking pan over medium heat. Add about a tablespoon of oil. Dice onion and add it to the pan. Saute onions until translucent.
- Take chorizo out of it's casing, crumble it and add it to the cooking pan. Stir well. Make sure to break up all the clumps of meat as it cooks.
- Once chorizo is about half way done, add corn and diced tomato. Mix well and cook until chorizo is done. Strain any juices.
- Mix cooked quinoa and chorizo mixture together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut tops off of bell peppers and scoop out all the seeds and membrane from inside the peppers.
- Stuff peppers with chorizo and quinoa mixture.
- Place peppers upright in a lightly greased baking dish. (An 8x8 baking dish usually works very well for 4 large peppers.) Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take off foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, depending on how soft you like your peppers.
- Top cooked stuffed peppers with crumbled fresco cheese right before serving.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers from Life In A Lofthouse
Shepherd’s Pie Stuffed Peppers from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers from Shugary Sweets
Crock Pot Mexican Stuffed Peppers from No 2 Pencil
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!