Simple, creamy coconut shrimp and rice dinner that features coconut rice and coconut shrimp. Fresh shrimp is sauteed in coconut milk and lime sauce and served on a bed of sticky coconut rice.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
How did I live without coconut rice until now?
You might be shocked at the fact that I JUST NOW discovered coconut rice but it’s true. This month, I’ve made this heavenly, creamy, coconut rice for the very first time.
I’m in love! That’s all I can say and I can’t wait to make it again, and again, and again. It’s very simple to make and goes perfectly in tropical shrimp and chicken dishes. This rice is creamy and sticky with a hint of coconut flavor but not overwhelming as if it was a dessert dish.
After falling in love with coconut rice, I knew the next dish would be a coconut shrimp dish. I’m a sucker for coconut anything and especially shrimp. Pairing my coconut rice with creamy coconut shrimp is the best thing I could have done.
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT RICE:
- Making coconut rice is super simple and not much different from making regular rice. I simply substitute part of water for coconut milk while cooking rice.
- Use coconut milk in a can (not the drinking coconut milk in a carton.)
- For my coconut rice, I use jasmine rice and follow the instructions on the package for the water to rice ratio. If using a different rice, check to see if the recommended water to rice ratio is different.
- I treat cooking rice like cooking pasta, I always heat up water first then add rice. So first, combine water and coconut milk in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once it starts to simmer, stir in sugar and salt. Lower the heat to low, add rice. Stir, cover and cook until rice is done. Remember to stir occasionally.
HERE ARE SOME MORE EASY RECIPE YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Key Lime Coconut Shrimp and Rice
Fresh shrimp is sauteed in coconut milk and lime sauce and serve on the bed of sticky coconut rice.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lime (juice) juice only
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 large lime juice AND zest
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (canned)
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
- fresh cilantro for topping optional
Combine water, lime juice, and coconut milk in a small pot over medium-high heat.
Once mixture starts to simmer, stir in sugar and salt.
Lower the heat to low and add rice. Stir, cover, and cook until rice is done. Remember to stir rice occasionally and break up the clumps.
Once rice is cooked, take off heat right away.
In a small mixing bowl, combine coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest, sugar, salt and if using, cayenne pepper powder. Mix well and add shrimp. Stir well and let it sit while preheating the pan.
Preheat a cooking pan over medium-high heat.
Add a little bit of canola oil to the pan. Take out the shrimp and sear on both sides until opaque.
Add the coconut mixture that shrimp marinated in to the pan. Let it simmer for a minute or two. Take off heat.
Divide rice among two bowls and top it off with shrimp and sauce.
Optional: garnish with some fresh cilantro.
All images and text ©Lyubov Brooke for ©Will Cook For Smiles. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If using my posts in collections and features, please link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate as most ingredients and brands have a slight variation.