Delicious Stuffed Peppers made with with Italian sausage, onions, peppers and rice. Scrumptious dinner that is really easy to make and a great way to use leftover rice.
You can always tell that dinner was a success when even the pickiest of the teenagers licks out the plate. These Sausage & Onion Stuffed Peppers were definitely a success!
When my little sister is visiting, I’m always concerned that she won’t like what I have planned for dinner and I wouldn’t be able to convince her to even taste it. You know how that goes…
“I don’t like it!”
“You haven’t even tried it.”
“But, I know I don’t like it.”
“How could you possible know that without even trying?”
“I just know iiiit…” (insert whiny voice)
…That conversation usually continues for another twenty minutes as the kid gets progressively whinier, until you give in and say “fine, what do you want?”
Luckily, as my baby sister is growing older, she is becoming more and more open to trying new foods. I’m so happy to see the end of “chicken and tenders era,” which lasted about eight years. Now, I can at least get her to taste the food in front of her before rejecting it. I finally won!
Well, she didn’t just try these stuffed peppers with a completely open mind, she also licked the plate clean. She actually sucked down every crumb left on the plate. That is just the best compliment a cook can have. Next to kids asking for seconds, of course. That’s exactly what she did and I could not be happier. I was definitely patting myself on the back for this recipe.
Sausage and Onion Stuffed Peppers
- 3 large and round bell peppers
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved or grated Parmesan cheese off the block
- (If needed, cook rice first according to the package instructions and set aside in a large mixing bowl.)
- Preheat an oven-safe skillet on stovetop, over medium heat.
- Thinly slice yellow onion and green bell pepper and saute with some salt and black pepper until golden. Add to rice.
- Brown ground sausage in the same skillet and once it's done, add to rice as well.
- Add diced green onion, thyme, salt and pepper to the bowl with rice and mix all until evenly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cut bell peppers in half, lengthwise, and clean them out, taking out all seeds and membrane.
- Lay bell pepper halves in the skillet, like little cups, and pack them with sausage/rice mixture.
- Sprinkle about 1-2 tablespoons of cheese on top.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the peppers are soft. (Personally, I like them a little bit crunchy but you may need to adjust baking time according to your taste. Bake them longer if you want peppers softer.)
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Dinner Ideas From Me:
Chicken Fajita Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed Peppers Soup
I love these stuffed peppers they are so good!
I can only assume that “12 lb” should read 1-2 lb? or maybe 1/2 lb?
Oh, thank you for letting me know! Yes, 1/2 lb.
Rina @ I Thee Cook says
I love stuffed peppers. I make them with ground beef and sausage. Delish!
Thank you so much, Rina!! They were so good 🙂