Amazing and easy baked nachos loaded with delicious southwest flavors. These Chorizo Nachos are made with spicy chorizo sausage and a combination of corn, beans, jalapenos, and tomatoes. Finally, nachos are baked with lots of cheese and topped with creamy avocado.
Sausage is the best, don’t you agree? Whether we’re talking Italian Sausage, smoked kielbasa, bratz, or chorizo, it’s all wonderful in recipes and on it’s own. The only sausage that I don’t like, and that is because I just refuse to try it, is blood sausage. I can’t get past the blood part. Otherwise, bring it on!
First of all, I LOVE nachos. I can have nachos for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Second of all, it’s such an easy meal that you can load with all your favorite topping combinations. And finally, nachos loaded with chorizo sausage is just sexy. Chorizo is fully of flavor and pizzazz. It’s fun to eat and fun to say. Common, say it with me…”Chorrrrizzzzo!” Sexy isn’t it?!
You can easily adjust the spice level of these nachos too. Choose older jalapenos and leave the seeds in for more spice or choose younger jalapenos and take out the seeds for less spice. Adding a little more or a little less chili powder will make chorizo more or less spicy. So adjust according to your own taste.
WHAT IS CHORIZO
Mexican style chorizo is made with uncooked ground pork (but sometimes other meats like chicken and beef). It is highly seasoned with several spices and chili peppers. Since it’s made with raw meat, you have to cook Mexican chorizo first.
It has a flavor that compliments other Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine the best. On its own, chorizo is a flavorful sausage but I also saute it with onions, garlic, and some chipotle chili powder for a smokey spice kick.
HOW TO MAKE CHORIZO NACHOS
First step is to cook sausage separately. Mexican chorizo is raw so make sure to cook the meat first and make sure to take off the casing.
Saute chorizo meat in a pan with some diced onion until it is completely done. Don’t forget to break up the clumps as much as you can.
After the sausage is done, preheat the oven and prepare the remaining ingredients for nachos. Nachos will be very easy to put together once you have all ingredients in front of you.
Finally, simply assemble the nachos (without the avocado) and pop them in the oven until the cheese is melted and it’s hot throughout. Once the nachos are hot and ready, spread avocado on top and serve.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Cooked chorizo from above
- 8 oz round tortilla chips (or other chips of choice)
- 1 large tomato (seeds taken out and diced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup corn canned and drained
- 1/2 cup black beans canned and drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese mix
- 1 avocado
- Juice from about 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp chopped chives topping
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease a baking sheet (about 9×13 in. rimmed baking sheet will work fine).
- Preheat a medium cooking pan over medium heat. Add a little oil for cooking.
- Take sausage out of packaging and break it up.
- Dice onion and saute until transparent. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add sausage to the pan, break up all the lumps as you cook it. Season with chipotle chili powder. Cook until sausage is done and take off heat.
- Layer half the chips in one even layer in the baking sheet.
- Spread half the chorizo sausage over the chips.
- Spread half the corn, beans, jalapenos, and tomatoes. Sprinkle half the cheese over veggies.
- Repeat the second layer the same way and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Skin, pit, and dice avocado and sprinkle it with some lime juice.
- Spread avocado over baked nachos and serve right away.