Heart-melting dip that is so gooey, cheesy, and packed with flavor, you will melt into your seat. This hot dip is made with Gruyere cheese, sauteed mushrooms and leek, and cream cheese. Simple and delicious start to your meal and the best way to snack.
Can you believe how fast this summer is flying by? I’m still trying to be in denial that school starts in three weeks. At least, I was in denial until I went to Target and saw the stand with school supplies lists for all the schools. You can’t deny it after that, it’s time to stock up on supplies and send the kiddos back to school. We are starting a whole new school this year. It’s a bit nerve-racking because of all the bad experiences with schools last year. So far, this new school gave us a very good impression. Let’s hope it sticks.
Little man actually picked out his new backpack a few days ago. No surprise here, he picked Mario. Mario is actually the theme he chose for his birthday party this year. I did not realize just how popular that theme was. I spent almost TWO hours on Pinterest last week, just looking through different party ideas. He sat with me hypnotized, and occasionally he’s scream up, “this one, I want this!” It’s cute, but he wanted some crazy projects. There was even a life sized game board. I’m just not that good a the DIY stuff but we’ll give it a shot.
I guess this is the best part about summer being almost over, our birthdays are coming up. Little man and I do love being pampered on our birthday. And, you gotta admit, no matter how old you are, everyone loves to be showered with presents and attention on their birthday.
So I’ve started to collect some birthday party food ideas. I kept thinking that mushrooms would go well with the whole Mario theme. I like to make both, kid friendly food and adult food for his parties because parents are always welcome. Mushroom dip sounded like a great idea for an adult table so I decided to try it out and see how it will fly with the family.
Let’s just say, it was a huge hit. Gone in minutes! My sister hates mushrooms and even she couldn’t stop eating the dip. This bad boy is definitely going on the menu!
Mushroom Leek and Gruyere Cheese Dip
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large leek
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5-6 oz Gruyere cheese block or wedge
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a baking dish by lightly greasing it. If using a cast iron baking dish, make sure it's well seasoned or lightly rub it with some oil.
- Preheat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil.
- Cut off the dark green leaves off the leek and the very bottom by the roots, discard what you cut off or save it for making homemade vegetable stock. Wash the leeks and cut them length-wise in half. Slice each leek half lengthwise into thin strips and then cut it across the width. This will create a small dice.
- Wash and slice mushrooms as thin as you can. Set aside.
- Add diced leek to the pre-heated saute pan and cook for a couple of minutes. Add sliced mushrooms. Season with some salt and pepper and mix well. Saute until leek and mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Grate Gruyere cheese and add 3/4 of it to the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Add cooked mushrooms and leek to the cheese mixture. (You can leave some of the mushroom and leek mixture for topping later.) Mix well. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dip mixture into a baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Top off with remaining grated Gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. (Top off with some mushroom and leek mixture if you want.)
- Serve warm.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Stuffed Mushroom Cheesy Dip from Wonky Wonderful
Vegan French Dip Sandwich from Potluck at Oh My Veggies
Baked Breaded Garlic Mushrooms from Erren’s Kitchen
Portobello Fries from The View From Great Island
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: