This recipe for the BEST Chicken Burgers cannot be beat! Juicy, flavorful chicken patties are absolutely delicious and you can use them in so many different dishes. I paired these delicious chicken burger a few simple veggies, delicate brioche buns, and addictive creamy sauce.
Table of Contents
To be honest, I can never decide which I like better – chicken burgers or Classic Beef Burgers. Oh… but I can’t forget Salmon Burgers and Turkey Burgers, too! There are so many delicious ways to grill up protein, it can be hard to choose which recipe to go with. Luckily, we still have plenty of summer left to try everything, so keep that grill hot and fired up!
And if you don’t have a grill ready to make burgers in your backyard, don’t worry. These delicious chicken patties can also be cooked to perfection on a stovetop, too. They’re deliciously flexible when it comes to cooking methods.
They’re also very flexible when it comes time to enjoy them as well! You can enjoy these patties in a burger as they’re intended to be eaten, but there are also plenty of other options.
Ground Chicken – most grocery stores carry ground chicken either in their fresh meat or frozen mean sections. You can also always grind your own chicken with a meat grinder.
Bread Crumbs – plain bread crumbs are best to use in this recipe, but you can substitute panko is needed. If you need to make these chicken burgers gluten free, use gluten free bread crumbs.
Garlic – for best results, use fresh garlic cloves and press or mince them.
Dijon Mustard – make sure to use Dijon mustard not yellow mustard.
Mayonnaise – You can use a full fat or low fat mayonnaise. Either one will work.
Parsley – Use finely minced fresh parsley for the best flavor and aroma.
Honey – For a honey flavor that really has depth, use a dark organic honey, not the light yellow honey that comes in the plastic bear!
Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice will yield much fresher results than the bottled juice that’s full of preservatives and artificial flavors.
See recipe card for complete information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make the Best Chicken Burgers
To prepare the patties, simply combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Then, shape the patties on a prepared surface.
If you’re cooking the patties on a stovetop, start by heating a pan over medium heat with a little olive oil. Cook the patties for approximately 6-8 minutes per side.
To Cook the patties on a stovetop, preheat the pan over medium heat with a little olive oil. Cook the patties for approximately 6-8 minutes per side.
To make the creamy sauce, simply combine all of the ingredients together thoroughly in a mixing bowl until smooth.
For burgers, generously spread the sauce on the bottom brioche bun and finish the chicken burgers off with your favorite toppings.
How to Grill Chicken Patties
Since chicken burgers are softer than beef ones, I recommend to use a vegetable basket or another mash grilling tray. Vegetable grilling baskets often have crisscross and finer grate and it helps the burgers not break or fall through.
Spray the patties with cooking oil on both sides. Set up the grill to have two temperature zones so you can finish cooking the burgers without burning the outside.
Place the patties on the grill basket and put the basket on the grill. Close the lid and cook the patties for approximately 5-6 minutes on each side. (You can take the internal temperature of the burger, inserting the meat thermometer probe through the side, towards the tender. Chicken should be cooked to 165°.)
How To Serve Chicken Patties
Making sandwiches and burgers are our go-to way to serve these juicy chicken patties. Although, it’s also perfect as a protein for dinner, along with your favorite sides. Try it with mashed potatoes and vegetables for dinner!
If you’re on a low carb diet and can’t dig into a brioche bun, wrap them in lettuce wraps or low carb tortillas! Serve them with a side salad too.
If you’re not afraid of carbs but you’re not necessarily craving a burger, you can also place a cooked chicken patty in a pita with some cucumbers, lettuce, and tzatziki sauce. We love versatile protein options, and these mouthwatering chicken patties couldn’t be more ready to go in a variety of different dinners!
There are so many delicious options out there! Here are just a few toppings I’ve experimented with and thoroughly enjoyed:
Cheese (Just pick a slice of your favorite! These chicken burgers are versatile and taste good with pretty much any cheese).
Store leftover cooked chicken patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can reheat individual portions in a microwave, just until heated through. You can also use the stove to reheat several at the same time. Reheat them over medium-low heat until just heated through for best results.
In order for your chicken burgers to fall apart, you need binders. Good binders for burgers and meatballs are eggs, bread crumbs, milk-soaked bread, and mayonnaise. This recipe has a good amount of binders so your burgers should be sturdy. If your chicken mixture feels too thin, you can always add a couple more tablespoons of bread crumbs.
Another big reasons the burgers might fall apart is the pan. Some problems may include: pan has scratches, it’s not clean enough, not non-stick, or there is not enough oil.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE leave a 🌟 star rating! Let me know how you liked it by leaving the 📝 comment below or share and tag me on social media @willcookforsmiles. DON’T FORGET to subscribe to my newsletter!
The Best Chicken Burgers Recipe
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 or 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- Brioche buns
- red onion
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix it all together until thoroughly combined.
- Cover a baking sheet or a large cutting board with parchment paper and shape the chicken patties.
Cooking chicken patties on stove top:
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat and add oil. Cook chicken patties for 6-8 minutes on each side, depending on the size and thickness.
Cooking chicken patties on the grill:
- For any burgers other than beef, I prefer to use a grill basket, grill wok (with holes), or another grill topper for holding the patties. Make sure to grease a grill basket first, before adding the patties onto it.
- Make sure to also spray the chicken burger patties with some cooking oil on booth sides.
- Prepare the grill to have two temperature zones and make sure to clean the grill grate. (Even though you will be cooking mostly over the hot zone, you may need to move the burgers over to the cooler side if they start to burn before being cooked through.)
- Place the grill basket with patties onto the grill, close the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes. Carefully flip each patty over and add cook another 5-6 minutes. (Exact cooking time will depend on the size of the patties.)
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth and completely combined.
- Build the chicken burgers with the topping you love!
- Gluten Free Notes: if you need to make these chicken patties gluten free, make sure to use gluten free bread crumbs.
- Storing and Reheating: Store leftover cooked chicken patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can reheat individual portions in a microwave, just until heated through. You can also use the stove to reheat several at the same time. Reheat them over medium-low heat until just heated through for best results