This delicious chicken soup is so comforting and full of health benefits. This creamy soup is actually light and made with shredded chicken breast, two types of beans, and kale. A big bowl is just what the doctor ordered for this cold weather.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
So who else is freezing their butts off? The warmest place in the US right now is California and even there, is a high of 45 today. Ouch! I love cold weather, so I’m actually secretly enjoying this. I’d be enjoying this even more if my mom hasn’t “borrowed” my only warm jacket to go to the mountains for vacation. Without a warm jacket, I have to run to the store very quickly from the car. Plus, I look quite silly wearing a sweater, scarf and a hat without a jacket.
We haven’t had cold weather like that is a long time. Last few winters, I barely got a chance to wear my cute sweaters a boots. This year, my sweaters don’t even fit right yet, after having a baby. We get so few chances to wear winter clothes here in the South, I feel like I’m missing my chance yet again. May be if I spend an few extra hours of the treadmill I can fit into my winter clothes in time. (Ha, “few extra hours,” I wish I had that time and energy.)
This cold weather is making everyone sick too. I love watching my baby girl go though all her first but not loving watching her go through her very first cold. On the New Year’s day, baby girl got sick. Little man is catching it too. I hate it when babies get sick because I feel so helpless not being able to get rid of the cold. Just need to make them as comfortable as possible.
During this “cold season,” prevention is key. Vitamins and healthy eating is a must. A nice bowl of soup may not be able to cure the cold but it will sure help the body fight it. Nothing really cures the cold virus and that’s why it’s important to make the body strong and boost the immune system.
This white chicken and bean soup is a great example of comforting food that’s loaded with health benefits. Perfect for setting through the cold season.
The soup is full of lean proteins and vitamin-packed kale. Chicken breast and beans are packed with lots of protein but you can also substitute turkey breast for chicken, if you wish. Among many vitamins that kale is packed with, it’s loaded with vitamin C, which helps support the immune system. Beans and a touch of cream makes this soup taste comforting while leaving it light.
Creamy Chicken and Bean Soup
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dry sage
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 leeks white only
- Chicken from above
- 14.5 oz can cannellini beans
- 14.5 oz can northern white beans
- Chicken stock from above
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes more or less per taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-5 leaves of kale
- Combine water, salt, pepper, and sage in a pot and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lower the heat to medium-low. Let it slow simmer for about an hour.
- Take out the chicken to cool a bit. Pour the broth into a different container and set aside.
- Shred chicken using two forks. Cut the long shredded chicken pieces to make it easier to eat.
- Add oil to the pot and set the heat to medium.
- Slice onion and leek thinly and saute for a few minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, mix well and add beans. Mix and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add broth, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. (Use as much or as little red pepper flakes as you want, based on your own spice tolerance.) Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and add chopped kale.
- Cook for a few minutes, until kale is softened.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Soup Recipes: