You can’t imagine a more comforting dish than this homemade mac and cheese inspired by Louisiana’s favorite Po’Boy Sandwich and made with bell peppers, homemade fried shrimp and a spice kick.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Phew, August is almost over. August is the absolute busiest month for me, and my favorite month at the same time. Mine and my little man’s birthdays both fall on this month and it’s also back to school month. (Not to mention several other little man’s friend’s birthdays falling on August too.) Between the birthday, birthday parties, and back to school shopping, I end up being more physically and financially drained this month than during Christmas time. I’m glad the craziness is starting to settle down, even though it’s been a blast.
You’ve probably noticed that I haven’t been able to get more than a couple of recipes to you a week. I am sorry for leaving you without much of new recipes but I need a nap!
I need a nap and a massive amount of comfort food. It’s almost comfort food time and I can not wait, actually, I will not wait. Mac and cheese is one of the BEST comfort dishes out there and this one is especially good. This macaroni and cheese is an amazing comfort meal because it’s made with homemade fried shrimp. Fried shrimp, mac and cheese, and a whole lot of warmth.
Po'Boy Mac and Cheese
- 10 oz dry elbow macaroni
- Fried Shrimp:
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Mac and Cheese:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lg red bell pepper cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tap cayenne pepper
- 8 oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3-4 oz shredded mozzarella
- Heat frying oil to 350. Prepare a plate with a paper towel over it.
- Prepare two shallow bowls. In one bowl, mix buttermilk and hot sauce. In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Wash shrimp and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Batter shrimp by dredging them in flour mixture first, then in buttermilk, and then again in flour mixture.
- Fry shrimp in batches (or all at the same time, depending on the size of the pot used for frying) for about 4 minutes, until they are golden brown. Take shrimp out with a metal slotted spoon onto the prepared paper towel.
- Cook pasta while preparing shrimp. Drain and set aside in a big bowl.
- Prepare sauce:
- In a sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced bell pepper and cook until softened.
- Sprinkle flour over the peppers and mix well. While mixing, start slowly adding milk. Keep mixing and add paprika, cayenne pepper and some salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cheeses while slowly stirring (leave a little bit of Mozzarella for topping). Keep stirring slowly until all smooth. Taste to see if you need to add more salt.
- Mix cheese sauce into pasta.
- Fold in shrimp. Transfer into a lightly greased casserole dish. (1.5 - 2 quart dish will work.) Spread some shredded Mozzarella on top.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
5- Cheese Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese from Kitchen In My Playground
Bacon Macaroni and Cheese Bites from The Gunny Sack
Creamy Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese from Carlsbad Cravings
Buffalo Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese from Whitney Bond.com
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Mac and Cheese Recipes From Me: