Soft, moist and delicious homemade baked donuts. These carrot cake donuts are made with and addition of pumpkin and cinnamon flavored streusel.
I’m a little obsessed with streusel lately, I put that stuff on everything!
Well, not on everything, everything, but on many baked goods….too many. But that’s okay because everyone loves streusel. Delicious, sugary, crunchy crumbs that go wonderfully on top of so many baked goodies. What’s not to love?
This week is my father-in-law’s birthday and he asked for carrot cake as his birthday cake. Since it’s that wonderful time of the year, when we stuff out faces with as many pumpkin flavored treats as possible, I offered to make pumpkin carrot cake with pumpkin frosting. I’ve been thinking about it all week and couldn’t possibly wait until the birthday party, so I decided to make some donuts to hold us over. Instead of using frosting on my pumpkin carrot cake donuts, I went with streusel all around. These delicious, soft donuts are loaded with cinnamon streusel on top and bottom. They are just heavenly!
Pumpkin Carrot Cake Streusel Donuts
- Donut batter:
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 Tbsp unsalted melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a donut baking pan. (You will need two 6-cup donut pans or you can do it in two batches because the recipe makes 10 donuts.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine grated carrots, pumpkin puree, egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Mix well until the ingredients are completely incorporated together.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and spices. Whisk until completely blended. Set aside to prepare streusel.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and flour. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Pour in melted butter and carefully fold it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- Spread a little bit of streusel crumbs in the bottom of each donut cup of the baking pan.
- Pour batter into a piping bag. (Depending on the bag, you might have to do it in two batches.)
- Cut the tip off the piping bag, leaving only about ½ inch opening.
- Squeeze batter into the donut cups of the pan, filling them. Make sure there is an even amount of batter all around.
- Sprinkle donuts with streusel crumbs, generously.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes. Let donuts cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and take them out onto a cooling rack.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Heavenly Hash Donuts from Something Swanky
Pumpkin and Chocolate Stuffed Mini Donuts from Foodness Gracious
Strawberry Coffee Cake Donuts from Delightful E Made
Mocha Chocolate Chip Donuts from Inside BruCrew Life
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!