Unbelievably delicious grilled chicken drumsticks marinated and then coated in a homemade sweet garlic sauce. This sauce tastes amazing but it is use as a marinade first and then thickened and cooked to be turned into glaze.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Sometimes you find that one dish that is SO delicious, you don’t even care what it takes to make it, you just have to taste it again. That’s how I feel about these Sweet Garlic Glazed Grilled Chicken Drumsticks. No matter how hot it gets outside, I must make them.
These juicy chicken drumsticks are so good with the smokey flavors of the grill throughout and that sauce…it’s just heavenly!
It’s a VERY easy, fast and simple recipe too. Prep time might seem long but it’s just chicken sitting in the fridge for hours. The sauce/marinade takes no time at all to prep and chicken takes less than 30 minutes to cook. If you prep your chicken to marinade in the morning, which will only take a few minutes, you can enjoy this dish for dinner.
The sauce here is magic. It’s so tasty, your eyes will roll to the back of your head. It’s also great because it serves double duty, it’s a marinade at first and then it’s simply turned into a glaze just by adding corn starch and bringing it to simmer.
If you don’t feel like turning on the grill or prepping the coals, you can cook the drumsticks on the stove-top or in the oven. Simply sear the drumsticks in a preheated, oven-safe pan and then pop them in the oven and bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes (turning them over half way through baking).
Sweet Garlic Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- 10-12 chicken drumsticks
- 6-8 lg cloves of garlic pressed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Plus 1/2 Tbsp corn starch for thickening the sauce
- Optional: green onions for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients, except corn starch, for marinade in a bowl and whisk them together until fully combined.
- Place your chicken drumsticks in a gallon zip-lock bag. Pour marinade into the bag as well and close it. Make sure to get the air out of the bag as you close it.
- Place the bag into another large dish or a bowl with the zipper up so you don't get any accidental leaks. Place it in the fridge to marinade.
- Let the chicken marinade for a couple of hours OR even overnight. (You can also prep it quickly in the morning for dinner time.)
- Prep the grill and get it nice and hot.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade, spray it with some cooking oil spray and grill. (Save the marinade.)
- (Set your coals as low from the grate as possible so you let the chicken cook instead of burn. I even cook it on the warming rack, with lid closed, to give chicken some extra distance from the coals.)
- Cook chicken for 15-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken drumsticks. (Until thermometer reads 185 degrees, inserted into the thickest part.)
- For the coating sauce: use the marinade that you've set aside. Add corn starch, mix it well and bring to simmer either on the grill or on the stove. If using the grill to heat the sauce, make sure to use a small, thin, metal pot. Cook the sauce, stirring often, until it is thickened. Take off heat once thickened.
- Place cooked chicken drumsticks in a bowl and toss them with the thickened sauce.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!