Inspired by the classic stuffed bell peppers dish, this comforting pasta casserole holds all those flavors inside. No need to choose, you can have two great dishes in one.
What was that? Was that actually a weather forecast for temperatures below 70 coming up? Oh, only for three days…Well, we need to take advantage of “cooler” weather with some comfort food.
What does “comfort food” mean to you? I didn’t even realize that “comfort food” can mean different things to different people. My husband and I went out to a great new restaurant a few weeks ago and we ended up having a long conversation about comfort food with our server. We started talking about the chef’s signature dish, which was beef with homemade demi glace and mushroom risotto, and the server referred to it as “the ultimate comfort dish.” My husband and I started talking about what makes a dish “comforting.”
To me, it’s the actual food and ingredients that make me feel like it’s comforting food. Something that would make you feel cozy and warm while you’re eating it. Pasta, soup, casseroles, and hot cocoa are definitely dishes that I would put in that comforting category. My husband on the other hand, thinks of comfort food as more of familiar dishes or favorite dishes from childhood.
So how about you? What do you consider comfort food, actual ingredients or memories?
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
Three Cheese Chicken Alfredo Bake from Plain Chicken
Cheesy Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta Bake from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipe
Stuffed Peppers Pasta Casserole
- 1 med. yellow onion
- 1 lg. green bell pepper
- 1 lg. orange bell pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 5-6 leaves of basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 3/4 to 1 lb dry farfalle pasta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese mix
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a casserole dish. (2 1/2 - 3 quart baking dish will work.)
- Slice onions and peppers thin.
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add some vegetable oil, onions and peppers. Cook veggies until softened.
- Add ground beef to the pan. Break it up as much as possible, cover, and cook for a few minutes. Stir well breaking up clumps of beef. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Mix and continue to cook, covered, until beef is done.
- Stir in oregano and chopped basil. Stir in pasta and transfer the mixture into a prepared baking dish.
- Spread shredded cheese all over the top and bake for 15-17 minutes.