Whatever you had planned as a Father’s Day dessert, cancel it! You will want to make these Bourbon Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting topped with sweet Bourbon Glaze. These cupcakes are unbelievable!
What an amazing treat these cupcakes would make for any dad this Father’s day! I think they even trump my Root Beer Cupcakes with Cream Soda Frosting from last year! Those were fantastic cupcakes, don’t get me wrong, but these are on a whole new level!
Of course, you would have to love chocolate to enjoy these little pieces of chocolate heaven, this is for chocolate lovers for sure.
Chocolate cupcakes themselves are made with some bourbon. Chocolate and bourbon makes a delicious flavor combination. Bourbon is not just for savory dishes, it enhances the flavor of chocolate and aroma that will fill your house is intoxicating (not literally)!
Of course, what else could I pair these delightful cupcakes with but my chocolate buttercream frosting?!
This frosting and I go way back, when I first made a birthday cake for a friend. Everyone fell completely in love with this frosting and now it’s the only frosting that she wants on any of her cakes…and some on a side for strawberries.
It’s so creamy and smooth…with just the right amount of chocolate so it is not overbearing. Like I said, it’s perfect for any cake and great for dipping fruit. Try a banana or a strawberry with some of this chocolate buttercream, it will change your world!
Bourbon doesn’t stop at cupcakes in this creation…nope, I didn’t stop there.
I also made an easy bourbon glaze to drizzle on top. This addition is optional for those who don’t like to cook with alcohol but HIGHLY recommended. It brings everything together and adds a great flavor pop. (This bourbon glaze is slow simmered for quite a while, so the alcohol does cook out.) Some of the drizzle also seeps into the cupcake, between the cupcake liner and the cake, and it’s so delicious!
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
Please note: recipe contains alcohol and raw eggs.
- Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups of hot water
- 1/4 cup of bourbon
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cups of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 16 oz butter, room temperature
- 2-3 cups of powder sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 oz dark semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled a little
- Bourbon Glaze:
- 3/4 c bourbon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the over to 350. Lightly spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and line it with cupcake liners.
- In a small sauce pot, mix water with unsweetened cocoa powder. Bring to a low boil and stir in bourbon. Cook for about a minute and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Separately, whisk together the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs and sour cream.
- On low speed, slowly pour in the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Once it's combined, bring the speed up to medium and beat for about two minutes.
- Lower the speed to low again and slowly pour in the hot cocoa. Mix until just combined. Turn off the mixer.
- Using the spatula, scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl, continue mixing with the spatula until the batter is smooth.
- Pour patter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 of the way, and bake for 18-20 minutes. So a toothpick test at 18 minutes to check for doneness.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Bourbon glaze:
- Glaze should be prepared ahead of time to allow it enough time to cool before adding to cupcakes.
- In a small sauce pot, over medium heat, whisk sugar and bourbon together and bring it to simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is reduced in half. Cool completely.
- Warm the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until melted and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat butter until it is fluffy (about 3-5 minutes) high speed, lower the speed to low and add in icing sugar and the egg yolk alternately, beating after each addition.
- The mixture should be very fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium low, gradually drizzle in melted chocolate.
- Transfer the frosting to the pastry bag and frost the cooled cupcakes.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
More Dessert Recipes From Me!