Just when you thought macaroni and cheese can’t get any better, we’ve added crab. This is a perfectly delicious and comforting mac and cheese recipe with crab and lots of cheese.
I’ve been craving mac and cheese for the longest time! I don’t make it too often. It’s the weirdest thing, every time I make it, it tends to jump in my mouth no matter how full I am. Baked macaroni and cheese is so good and can be very addictive. The family loves it though, so I make sure they are around when I made it, so it doesn’t just jump in my mouth.
I’ve made a few different versions of mac and cheese before. It’s just one of those dishes where you can play with different flavors and find the ones that you like the most. My favorite way of making mac and cheese is baking it. This time, I decided to make it extra special so I got some claw crab meat and added it. Seafood is great paired with pasta and Parmesan cheese and crab is one of my favorite types of seafood. I didn’t have a doubt that it would turn out perfectly. It sure did!
I also like to use more flavorful cheeses. I like to use sharp cheeses or smoked cheeses. Sharp white cheddar is one of my favorite’s. There is nothing like fresh grated Parmesan too.
- 1 1/2 cups of dry macaroni
- 6 oz claw crab meat
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 large shallot chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 oz fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar cheese block, it will melt better
- salt fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Cook the macaroni according to the box instructions, drain well. Add the crab meat and set aside.
- In a sauce pot, melt the butter (on medium heat) and add chopped shallot. Saute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the shallot, mix well. Slowly pour in the milk while constantly stirring with a rubber whisk. The mixture will start thickening.
- Grate the white cheddar into the milk mixture. Add salt and pepper and keep stirring, slowly, until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the macaroni and crab. Add half of the grated Parmesan cheese. Stir well, until all combined.
- Transfer into a baking casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and the other half of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- **Recipe by Lyuba from willcookforsmiles.com