Amazing, comforting macaroni and cheese dish. Macaroni loaded with chicken, smoked bacon and smoked cheese, baked and drizzled in bbq sauce.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
It’s almost that wonderful season, the season for comfort foods!
It’s my absolute favorite season for cooking because there is not just pumpkin, apples and all the delicious fall produce, it’s also the comfort food. Casseroles, soups and of course, macaroni and cheese. When it comes to pasta, bread and cheese, I have such a weakness.
Since so many kiddos are going back to school already, I’m sure it’s starting to feel like fall faster and faster. I got excited the other day, when I realized that there are only three months left until Halloween. I’m like a little kid on Halloween. I’m already badgering my little guy about what costume he would want to wear and it’s not even his birthday yet. Although, that’s coming up with a speed of light too.
I decided to kick of comfort food season early with this fabulous mac and cheese. It’s full of smokey flavors from bacon, cheese and chipotle chili powder. This tasty dish is loaded with bacon and chicken too. So good, you won’t want to share!
Smokehouse Mac and Cheese
- 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 10 slices of raw bacon hickory smoked flavor, diced
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 8 oz smoked cheddar cheese sharp cheddar if can't find smoked, grated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- BBQ sauce for drizzle about 1/4 cup
- In a medium cooking pan, over medium heat, cook chicken breasts seasoned with some salt and pepper and diced bacon.
- While chicken is cooking, cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Dice cooked chicken and add it to the pasta. Add cooked bacon bits as well.
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a baking dish. (It can be a 2-quart baking dish or a 10-inch cast iron skillet.)
- In a small sauce pot, melt butter. Sprinkle flour and mix until combined. Immediately but slowly, pour in milk, while whisking carefully.
- Once the milk mixture is smooth and heated through, add grated cheese.
- Add chipotle chili powder, paprika, some salt and pepper. Whisk slowly until the cheese mixture is smooth and cheese is all melted. (I recommend using a silicone covered whisk so that your cooking pot does not get scratched.)
- Pour cheese mixture into the mixing bowl with pasta and meat. Mix very well and add a little more salt to taste.
- Transfer into an oven-safe dish or a cast iron skillet. Spread it evenly and bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Drizzle mac and cheese with bbq sauce and enjoy!
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Beer Bacon Mac and Cheese from Slow Roasted Italian
Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa from Vikalinka
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese from Nutmeg Nanny
Parmesan Mac and Cheese from Wanna Bite
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!