Great easy chicken dish that can be served over rice or pasta. Juicy, tender chicken thighs cooked in a creamy, spicy chipotle pepper sauce with lots of bell peppers and onion.
Do you know about the hidden treasures in your house? I’m not talking about someone hiding gold and gems under the floor boards, although that would be nice, I’m talking about things that are hiding in the corners and back rows of the closets and cabinets. Things we completely forget about.
This week, I actually found quite a few treasures in my house. I found a pair of pants that I loved but completely forgot about since they were hiding all the way at the bottom of the dresser drawer. Digging through the pantry, I found a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and immediately got a craving for it’s smokey flavors. After finding the peppers, I had use them to make something for dinner. It became like a game of Chopped.
“Okay, I have these chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and I have some chicken leg quarters. Let’s put a dinner together.”
Once I had the sauce figured out, the rest of the dish came together on it’s own. Smokey, spicy chipotle peppers are great cooked with cream because it helps ease the spiciness of the pepper and creates a delightful sauce cooked with juicy chicken thigh meat and bell peppers.
For this dish, you can use any part of the chicken leg. You can use bone-in chicken thighs, drumsticks, or chicken leg quarters. Just remember that bake time may vary depending on the size of the meat used.
This Chicken in Chipotle Cream Sauce is best served over a bed of fluffy rice. If you don’t like rice, try it over pasta, quinoa, or with a vegetable that is good to soak up sauce, like broccoli.
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Chipotle Creamy Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3.5 lbs chicken leg quarters (other cuts can be used)
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, paprika, garlic powder, and salt.
- Mince chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and whisk them into heavy cream mixture. Mix sauce until all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven safe cooking pan (like a cast iron pan) over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken leg quarters with salt on both sides.
- Add canola oil all over the hot cooking pan and place chicken legs into it. Sear chicken legs until golden brown and flip them over.
- Add sliced onions and peppers to the pan, all over.
- Sear chicken legs until golden brown on the other side and then pour the sauce all over the chicken and veggies. (It's okay if some vegges end up under the chicken.
- Transfer the pan into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. (Time will depend on the size and the cut of the chicken used. Drumsticks and thighs may take 10-15 minutes less than a whole leg quarter.)
- Serve over rice, pasta, or veggies.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes You Will Like:
Sesame Roasted Chicken Thighs