Delicious side dish or a delicious meatless dinner? It doesn’t really matter which one, you decide, what matters is that it’s delicious! Simple orzo pasta mixed with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and sauteed mushrooms and shallots.
When I first made this tasty dish, I meant for it to be a side dish. Just imaging how good it would be with a juicy turkey leg (or breast if you prefer), ham or chicken. Really, any way you go with meat, this will be great.
Then, as we were scarfing it down for lunch, I realized that I may have planned it to be a side dish, but it was great all by itself. This orzo dish can definitely stand on its own and be all you need. If your family has meatless nights, or vegetarian family members, this dish would be a perfect simple dinner. It takes almost no time to make it. The longest it will take is to cook the pasta. While pasta is cooking, saute your mushrooms and shallot. The mix it all together and you got a wonderful dinner in under 30 minutes.
Best part here is the cheesiness, as it is in every comforting pasta dish. Grating Parmesan cheese right over hot pasta and then mixing it right away, will create almost creamy, cheesy coating on the pasta. Pure Parmesan heaven!
Depending on if you’re making this for your holiday dinner or just a family dinner, you can easily half or double the recipe. Just take note that this dish is pretty filling and a 16 oz package of dry orzo, will make you close to 8 cups. As easy as this dish to re-heat, it tastes so much better freshly made.
Parmesan Mushroom Orzo
- 16 oz dry orzo
- 4 oz freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 Tbsp truffle oil
- Cook orzo according to the package instructions, drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Immediately grate Parmesan cheese into the bowl with pasta before pasta cools. Mix well until cheese is melted and pasta is all coated.
- While pasta is cooking, you can prepare mushrooms and shallots. Peel and thinly slice shallots. Wash and thinly slice mushrooms. Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat and add truffle oil. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add mushrooms, season with some salt and cook until mushrooms are done.
- Add cooked mushrooms and shallots to the bowl with Parmesan orzo. Mix well. Taste to see if you need more salt.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Easy Cheesy Orzo from Or Whatever You Do
Lemon Garlic Orzo Soup from Petit Foodie
Cheesy Pumpkin Orzo from Table For Two
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!