Delicious, flavorful and super simple blueberry galette. This Lemon Blueberry Galette is like a lazy pie, perfect dessert for a warm, weekday night.
If you want something fabulous, yet easy, to make for all the moms in your life, look no further! No better treat to make for Mother’s day than a tasty Galette. This is especially a great idea because of how easy it is and how few ingredients there are. I call Galette a “lazy pie” because it’s pretty much a pie filling wrapped in pie crust.
I prefer to make mini galettes to a full galette because of an even distribution of pie crust to filling. In a full galette, you always have the middle part with a lot of filling and a thin piece of crust on the bottom. Maybe it’s just me, but I like an even amount of filling and crust in each bite. A little crunch plus a little juicy blueberry equals to a perfect pie experience.
As I mentioned, this would make a beautiful dessert for any spring and summer holiday, but it would also make a nice brunch treat. It’s quick and easy too, so you can enlist your kids to help, or even do it themselves.
The best part about this treat is the flavor combo. Blueberries are wonderful in a pie but adding a citrusy flavor of lemon zest and an aromatic flavors of vanilla beans and vanilla sugar puts it over the top.
If you haven’t found vanilla sugar, I highly recommend you do. Any chance I get to top off a baked good with it, I jump on it. It adds a beautiful, sweet, aromatic vanilla flavor to any baked treat. I also have coconut flavored sugar and a couple of other flavors. Flavored sugars intrigue me so I buy them every time I come across one. (Usually at Home Goods.)
SOME MORE BLUEBERRY RECIPES
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Blueberry Vanilla Lemon Galette
- 1¼ cup flour
- 3 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ cup cold butter
- 10 oz blueberries
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- Vanilla sugar for topping - optional
- Preheat the oven to 400, line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl of an electric mixer. Chop cold butter into small pieces and add it to the flour.
- Start mixing on low until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add cold water and keep mixing until dough comes together. Transfer onto a work surface and knead a few times. Cover in saran wrap and pop in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and scraped vanilla beans. Mix well and set aside.
- Separate the cold dough into 4 even pieces. On a very lightly floured surface, roll out each dough into a circle, about ⅛ of an inch thick (you may also want to lightly flour the rolling pin). Carefully pick up one dough circle and place it on the greased parchment paper.
- (Mix the filling again.) Spread a quarter of blueberry filling in the center of the dough circle, leaving a little less than an inch space uncovered around the edges.
- Fold edges of the dough up over the blueberries, all around the circle, folding the dough onto itself on the side. Press the folds gently, so they don't come apart.
- Repeat with the remaining three dough circles and blueberry filling. Place mini galettes about two inches apart from each other.
- Sprinkle some vanilla sugar all over the folded edges of galettes. (You can also use brown sugar or white granulated sugar.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is golden.