This is one AMAZING bread! Coconut Key Lime Bread is a soft bread that explodes with flavor in every bite!
Coconut and key lime is a heavenly flavor combination and this bread is pure heaven. Every bite will make your toes curl! Yeap, this bread is like an orgasm for your taste buds. Coconut goes like “POW” and key lime goes “POW” and together they go “BOOM” and you kick back with your feet up and imagine that you are on a sunny beach, enjoying this Coconut Key Lime Bread.
For this wonderful bread, I use fresh coconut and it was the best choice. It’s been a long time since I’ve made my own coconut flakes. Opening a coconut was never my favorite part, actually, I used to hate it. I love coconut, but didn’t feel like wrestling with it all night. I remember spending about 2 hours tring to open it with a hammer when I was a kid.
But no more! I’ve learned an incredibly easy way to open a coconut in less than a minute! Thanks to Lisa and her awesome post on How to Crack a Coconut, I’m fresh coconut happy now. So I used fresh coconut flakes for this bread and froze the rest. You don’t have to use homemade coconut flakes, you can use store-bought to save yourself some time.
I also soaked the coconut in some skim milk to give it a little moisture. Squeeze the coconut flakes after soaking them for a few minutes and enjoy some coconut milk!
Coconut Key Lime Bread
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup of coconut flakes + some milk for soaking the coconut to be discarded after soaking
- Zest from 1 small key limes
- Pre-bake the oven to 350 and grease an 8x4 inch bread pan.
- Soak the coconut flakes in some skim milk (you can use other milk if you want) for about 5 minutes. Squeeze the coconut flakes and set aside (drink or discard the milk).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, coconut oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Whisk in the coconut flakes and key lime zest.
- Transfer the dough into the bread pan and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle a little more coconut flakes on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!