The best way to start your morning is a nice cup of coffee and these amazing Apple Pie Doughnuts. These doughnuts are quickly and easily made with refrigerated biscuit dough and simple apple pie filling.
So my sister has been coming to me quite often on weekends. It’s nice to have to come and see us so often and my little man loves it. He could probably run away with her and never look back. A true aunt/nephew love there. But I think there is a hidden reason that is beyond us. Her boyfriend happen to live close to me and of course, that would be the reason behind all the frequent visits we’ve been enjoying. Well, no matter the reason for visits, we always have a lot of fun. Last weekend, we made doughnuts! It was the first time she made fried doughnuts and they did not disappoint.
I got this awesome idea to use Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits from my friend Amy of Shugary Sweets. I love, love, love her Boston Cream Doughnuts and all I wanted to do is try making easy doughnuts with biscuits after I saw them. Using this dough is very easy and it’s a perfect combination of savory, almost with a hint of salt, dough with sweet cinnamon apples and a little powder sugar. I can taste them every time I look at the pictures and I want more!
Easy Apple Pie Doughnuts
- Package of original refrigerated biscuits 8 count
- About 30 oz bottle of vegetable oil for frying
- 3 medium apples
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Powder sugar
- Make sure to save the juice from cooking apples
- You may need a thermometer
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, start to melt butter and brown sugar. When butter is melted, add diced apples, lemon juice and spices.
- Set temperature to medium-low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until apples are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Strain apples and set aside all the juice from cooked apples for later.
- Preheat oil in a fryer, dutch oven or a pot to 350°F. (If using a pot on a stove top, I recommend a setting between medium and medium-low.)
- While oil is preheating, prepare the doughnuts.
- Open the can on refrigerated dough and separate the biscuits. Flatten the biscuits with your hands to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spoon a spoonful of apples onto the center of each flattened biscuit. (Don't overstuff.) Pull edges together and press them as well as possible. This biscuit dough tend to pull apart so you may need to work it a little extra. Place doughnuts seam down while waiting to be fried.
- Place some doughnuts into the preheated oil and fry until nicely golden brown and then flip the to the other side.
- Take doughnuts out onto a paper towel once they are cooked. Let the oil heat back up before making another batch.
- Once all doughnuts are ready, drizzle some juice from cooked apples over each doughnut. Sprinkle some powder sugar on top.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Peanut Butter Cream Doughnuts from Crazy For Crust
Chocolate Chip Doughnuts from The Gunny Sack
Jelly Filled Doughnuts from Mandy’s Recipe Box
Gingerbread Doughnuts with Cinnamon-Ginger Glaze from Jessica in the Kitchen
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!