Let’s get you more ideas for your holiday dinner! I’m sharing another side dish today. It’s French Onion Green Beans, fresh green beans cooked with pearl onions in French onion sauce!
I’ve been experimenting with different ideas for our Thanksgiving dinner and this is has been voted a keeper!
I usually make fresh green beans with cranberries, pecans and white wine sauce but I wanted to try something new. This weekend, I tried these French Onion Green Beans just for fun and they turned out AMAZING!
After we had it for dinner, I asked hubby if he liked these green beans better than the ones I usually make for Thanksgiving. He went back and forward for a while but ultimately decided that I should make this dish for our holiday dinner this year.
You know the best part? Try dipping whatever bread you are serving with dinner in this French Onion sauce.
Oh…my…word! FOOD HEAVEN!!
French Onion Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 cup of pearl onions cut in half
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup of beef stock
- 1/4 cup of red wine
- salt pepper,
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Heat up the olive oil in a large pan.
- Saute the onions until nicely browned. Sprinkle with flour and stir.
- Slowly add the red wine and beef stock while stirring constantly.
- Stir in the tomato paste and grate in the garlic.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir well.
- Once the sauce gets thicker, add green beans. Cook the green beans in the sauce until they reach desired "crunchiness." (Yes, that is the word I want to use!)
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through | Facebook| Twitter| Pinterest| to keep up with the recipes!