You would never think that caramelized onions can get you weak in the knees until you try these Bacon Caramelized Onions. These onion are extra special not just because it’s made with bacon but because it’s made on a grill. A little sweet and a little salty combined with the smokey flavors of the grill is pure heaven.
These caramelized onions are absolutely unbelievable. However I came up with the idea of doing caramelized onion on the grill, I don’t care, I’m just happy that I did. It’s SO tasty, I’ve been putting it on everything.
It’s not just for burgers and sandwiches. I’ve topped my quinoa with some of these bacon caramelized onions. I’ve topped my turkey breast with it, topped steak fillet with it, and mixed some into a pasta dish. It enhances the flavors and lifts the dish no matter where you add it.
There are many layers of flavor is this one simple dish. Even though there are only 4 simple ingredients here but they all come together in an fantastic flavor combination. A touch of sweetness from a little sugar, saltiness from bacon and the smokey flavor of the grill, all work wonderfully together.
As I mentioned, it’s very simple to put together and there are only a few simple ingredients to make whatever you’re planning for Father’s Day extra special. If you’re planning steaks, burgers, hot dogs, or brats, they will all be made fantastic topped with some of these grilled bacon caramelized onions.
HOW DO I MAKE CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
There are a couple of basic things you need to do to make some tasty caramelized onion either on the grill or on stove-top.
First, add a little bit of sugar to the onions. This will help bring out some of natural onion sweetness as well.
Cook onions slowly instead of searing them. Cooking time can take somewhere from 20-30 minutes. If you are making a large batch of onions, cook time might be longer.
When making onions on the grill, set your pan either on the warming rack while cooking the onions or not directly over the coals. Set the coals on the lowest level possible. You want onions to be cooked slowly to be caramelized.
Cook bacon first until just starting to crisp before adding onions.
Mix onions with salt and sugar first, before adding to the cooking pan.
You may use any cooking pan for stove-top cooking but make sure to use either a fully metal pan or cast iron pan for grill-top cooking.
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Grilled Bacon Caramelized Onions
- 6 oz raw bacon (about 6 slices of thick cut bacon)
- 2 lbs Vidalia onions (about 2 large onions)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Set the coal tray on the lowest setting. Prepare coals for the grill until just ashed over.
- Dice bacon into small pieces.
- Heat up a fully metal pan or a cast iron skillet that's large enough to hold the onions.
- Once the pan is heated, add bacon pieces and spread them evenly. Cover the grill and cook bacon until starting to get crispy.
- While bacon is cooking, slice onions and place them into a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and salt to onions and mix until evenly seasoned throughout.
- Once bacon is ready, add onion to the pan and gently mix until onions are evenly coated.
- After adding the onions, place the pan on the warming rack for cooking or not directly over the hot coals.
- Close the grill lid and cook until onions are nicely caramelized, soft, and light brown in color. Remember to stir every 10 minutes or so.