These Sweet Potato Cakes are not just a great side dish, they would make a great meal on their own. Savory sweet potato patties made with green onions, fresh cilantro and garlic.
SWEET POTATO CAKES
This is a great way to serve sweet potatoes on holidays or any other day. Everyone gets a personal patty, or two…or three because trust me, they are that good. I also like to make regular or sweet potato cakes for lunch sometimes, it doesn’t have to be strictly a holiday dish. They are great with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top but you can also be a little more adventurous and drizzle them with Ranch dressing.
When it comes to preparation, there are actually two ways to make it. You can either bake sweet potatoes first or you can boil them. If you boil them, it will be much faster but you will save a lot more nutrients and vitamins by baking sweet potatoes first. When you boil potatoes, many vitamins and nutrients get cooked out into the water and then down the drain. So if you have the time, I would recommend baking sweet potatoes first.
HOW TO COOK SWEET POTATOES FOR THE CAKES:
To bake sweet potatoes: wash them well, poke a couple of holes with a knife, wrap in foil and bake at 350 until soft. Bake time will depend on how large are your sweet potatoes. If you get smaller ones, you can significantly decrease cooking time. Once done, cool until easy to handle and scoop out all the potato meat into the mixing bowl.
To boil sweet potatoes: wash, peel and cut them in half or in four pieces, depending on the size. Add cut sweet potato pieces to salted boiling water and cook until butter knife easily goes through. Drain and add them to the mixing bowl.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
Ham and Cheese Mashed Potato Cakes
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Sweet Potato Cakes
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 large clove of garlic
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for cooking
Cooking sweet potatoes:
- To bake sweet potatoes: wash them well, poke a couple of holes with a knife, wrap in foil and bake at 350 until soft. Bake time will depend on how large are your sweet potatoes. If you get smaller ones, you can significantly decrease cooking time. Once done, cool until easy to handle and scoop out all the potato meat into the mixing bowl.
- To boil sweet potatoes: wash, peel and cut them in half or in four pieces, depending on the size. Add cut sweet potato pieces to salted boiling water and cook until butter knife easily goes through. Drain and add them to the mixing bowl.
Sweet Potato Cakes:
- Mash sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add green onions, cilantro, sour cream, egg, bread crumbs, grated garlic and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper, mix well and taste to make sure you have enough.
- Preheat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add some vegetable oil.
- Form sweet potato patties and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Use a small spatula and flip carefully.
Debra Sanders says
Tasty and easy. I had some leftover sweetpotatoes and this worked really well. I don’t care for cilantro, so I left it out. I did shake some red pepper flakes and course salt on top before frying them up. Really good. I served them with a slice of ham on the bottom and a poached egg on top. Great brunch treat!
I am so glad you liked it, Debra!
Just made the sweet potato cakes and they were delicious. Definitely will make again
Thank you, Cathy! Glad you liked the recipe!
Would panko work instead of bread crumbs?
Yes, you can but you will want to add a couple of extra tablespoons since they are not as dense.
These look really good! How long do leftovers last in the fridge?
Thank you! These will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or you can freeze them for up to 3 months. I go over how to freeze and reheat them in my ham and cheese mash potato cakes here is the link if you would like more information. https://www.willcookforsmiles.com/ham-and-cheese-mashed-potato-cakes/
Can you use Some other herb then cilantro? I dont like the taste of it😬
Just made these – they’re great! I’m wondering if I can freeze a batch or two for quick meals in the future. Should I freeze the patties on parchment paper before or after cooking them on the stove?
You can freeze them and keep them for 6 months I also make black bean burgers mixed with sweet potatoes and freeze them
Thank you, Millie! I never have enough leftover to freeze but it will be a great idea to make extra and freeze for an easy snack later.
I never thought of making sweet potato pancakes. I bet these are just awesome. I can’t wait to give them a try.
Thank you, Teresa! I hope you’ll get a chance to try them.
Anele @ Success Along the Weigh says
Oh man, these look so good! I just happen to have some sweet potatoes waiting to be used, what a shame! HA!
Also, if you’re in a hurry, poke a few holes in the taters and 2 medium to large sweet potatoes will cook in 5-6 minutes in the microwave. I do it when I’m feeling lazy. Okay, I lied, I do it all the time. 🙂
That’s right! You can totally make them in a microwave 🙂
Thank you, Anele! Hope you’ll get a chance to make them and like it!