This is one unbelievable Portobello Burger. Juicy, giant portobello mushroom stuffed and baked with Parmesan cheesy mixture and topped with fresh pesto.
Do you remember Scalloped Portobello Potatoes Au Gratin that I shared a couple of weeks ago? (They were so delicious.) Well, I had some large portobello mushrooms left over from making that tasty dish. I’ve stared at them for a couple of days, not knowing what to make with them, until I decided to make some portobello burgers. There was actually a debate in my head if I just wanted to make some stuffed mushrooms or mushroom burgers and this is how I settles that debate …with myself.
Needless to say, I won! I won in more ways because this burger turned out amazing! Never in my life I would have imagined that I’d like a portobello burger more than I like regular beef (or even chicken) burgers.
I’ll be making these more and more because it’s so simple and takes about 30 minutes to put the whole thing together. I could eat them every day!
Italian Stuffed Portobello Burger
- 2 giant portobello mushrooms
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 Tbsp Italian bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp minced basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano for topping
- For Burger:
- 2 potato buns
- 1/2 cup Arugula
- 3-4 Tbsp pesto
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Wash your mushrooms and carefully take off the stems if there is one. Rub mushrooms lightly in olive oil and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, grated (or pressed) garlic and salt. Mix very well until all combined.
- Place mushroom cups onto a baking sheet. Carefully and evenly fill the cups with cheese mixture pressing down lightly with your fingers to spread it out.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan over the mushrooms.
- Bake fore 15-18 minutes.
- Build burger by adding some arugula on the bottom bun, stuffed mushroom on top and pesto on top of mushroom.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Portobello Mushroom Steak from Produce on Parade
Portobello Mushroom Pizzas from Life As A Strawberry
Poblano and Portobello Fajitas from Minimalist Baker
Portabella Veggie Burgers from The Kitchen Whisperer
Italian Stuffed Portobello Burger on a bun with lettuce and pesto on top
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me:
Scalloped Portobello Potatoes Au Gratin
Lori @ The Kitchen Whisperer says
Wow these look GORGEOUS! And perfect timing for Lent/Meatless dishes! Thank you so much for mentioning my chunky portabello veggie burger too!
Best Kitchen Wishes!
Thank you so much, Lori! I do hope you’ll try it!
Renee @ Tortillas and Honey says
This looks awesome! I could enjoy this with or without the bun, it’d be great either way! And I love the pesto on the top!
Thank you so much, Renee! I hope you will get to enjoy it 🙂
This looks wonderful, but I was wondering if there’s something I can use in place of the cream cheese, that’s more “diet friendly”?
Thank you, Marysue,
You can always try 1/3 less fat cream cheese. There is only a little bit of cream cheese here, I wouldn’t think it will be much damaging 🙂 You can loose the top bun (or both) to save some calories if that’s what concerns you.
I hope you’ll give it a try!