I know that I promised to share my son’s birthday cupcakes with you last week. I’m a little late, but I’m sharing them today and they were WONDERFUL! These are Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes and they are a slice of heaven! Red velvet cupcakes made with crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese frosting.
I can’t believe that my little guy turned FOUR last week. How is the time going by so fast?!
I’ve been hearing it every day that time goes by fast and to savor every moment. It truly does go by too fast!
On Monday he is going to pre-K and I’m just so not ready to have my baby in school already. Next thing I know, I will be sending him to college. Ok…ok…I can’t think of that!
We took the little man to Disney World last week and WE HAD A BLAST!
He met Mickey and Buzz, he danced with Pluto, Goofy, Stitch and the chipmunks! We went on all kinds of rides including four (4) times on the people mover. He just LOVED the people mover ride….”It’s the tunnel!!” For some reason, he loved going through the tunnels.
I also ordered a special T-Shirt for his special birthday! I had his birthday t-shirt made by the sweet Tara from The Trendy Treehouse!
She did such an awesome job!! Doesn’t he look so cute in it?!
After we came back from a day of fun at Disney (well after we crashed for about 12 hours,) we had a small family party with cupcakes and presents. He loved the cupcake and all the presents very much. Well….he licked off all the frosting (as always) and took a few bites of the cupcakes. That means he loved it! (He is really a cookie boy.)
Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2-3 tsp red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 Oreo Cookies crushed in food processor
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup of butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powder sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with cupcake liners. (I also used two muffin pans, I had batter for 16 cupcakes)
- In a bowl on an electric mixer, beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla on medium low.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat on low until smooth and just combined.
- Add MOST of the crushed Oreo cookies (set aside about 2 tbs to top of the cupcakes.) and stir on low until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake cups, filled about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Do a toothpick test to make sure the cupcakes are cooked through. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth and light. (about 2-3 minutes)
- Lower the speed to low and slowly add the powder sugar. Beat until just incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix until very light and fluffy. (about another 1-1 1/2 minutes)
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining crushed Oreos.
Julie @ This Gal Cooks says
These are BEAUTIFUL, Lyuba! And they look delicious! I’d love one right about now. 🙂
Your son is so adorable! Glad you all had a good time at Disney! Pinning and sharing these cupcakes on FB and Twitter. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays, Lyuba!
Thank you so much, Julie! You rock!!
Carrie @ Frugal Foodie Mama says
OMGosh! I love these cupcakes! And so cute too with the Oreo Mickey ears. 😉
Thank you for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week!
Thank you, Carrie!
Liz Fourez says
I need a cupcake now! Your photography on these babies is gorgeous! Great job : ) And happy birthday to your little guy!
Thank you so much, Liz!!
These are so adorable! I love, love, love red velvet, and Oreos with it makes it even better.
Thank you, Marcie!!
Too cute. Love this idea
Thanks so much, Becca!
Those cupcakes look so so good. And so glad you loved the shirt I made. He looks like he’s in heaven at Disney. So fun!!
Thanks, Tara! We sure did!! He loved it, heat and all 🙂
Heather @ French Press says
I have only one word…YUM
🙂 Thank you!
These are terrific cupcakes!
I love the addition of Oreo’s
Thank you, Winnie!
The first photos are gorgeous! The second set of photos are absolutely adorable! What an awesome birthday 🙂
Hehe, thank you, Lisa!
I love the idea of Oreo’s in the crumb of these. They look great. Visiting from Creativity Linky Party.
Thank you, Laura 😉
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
Love the Mickey cupcakes, so cute! Thanks for hosting the link party.
Thank you, Ashley! (Thank you for linking up as well 🙂 )
These were such fun cupcakes and yummy too!