Rum Punch is a sweet and refreshing tropical cocktail that will make you feel like you are in the Caribbean! This Jamaican-style cocktail has a base of orange and pineapples juices and both, light and dark rums. Just one sip of this sweet rum punch will make you ready to celebrate the warm, sunny summer months!
Along with deliciously sweet pineapple and orange juices and rum, there are also a squeeze of fresh lime juice, splash of grenadine, and a pinch of nutmeg in this rum punch. Nutmeg? What? Yes! Trust me, the nutmeg is really what brings it all together.
I add a pinch of nutmeg and it brings a great whisper of aroma and spice to the cocktail. Some of the Jamaican rum cocktails include spices, like nutmeg, in them so when I was testing my recipe, I’ve payed around with spices too. Guess what…it tasted great! So before you decide to omit this ingredient, which you definitely can, I urge you to try it.
This rum punch is meant to be enjoyed by the beach, poolside, or anywhere else where you want to feel on “vacation.” If you’re looking for a little paradise escape in your own home, this is the perfect recipe for that. I love enjoying this rum punch with friends in my own backyard! It’s a very fun and tasty way to enjoy the summer without ever leaving home.
Ingredients for Rum Punch
This list of ingredients is short, sweet, and to the point! You’re really going to love how simple this boozy summertime punch is.
- Coconut Rum – The coconut rum will certainly add to the beachy taste, but if you want to avoid too much sweetness, opt for plain white rum instead.
- Dark Rum – Your drink will only be as good as the liquor you put into it, so be sure to use a quality bottle of dark rum. It can really make or break the entire punch!
- Orange Juice – To keep this drink perfectly smooth, use a pulp free orange juice.
- Pineapple Juice – Try to pick out 100% juice or the cocktail might be sweeter than you think,
- Grenadine – Grenadine helps develop the deep color of the punch, as well as the slight added sweetness that helps the alcohol blend better.
- Lime Juice – General rule of thumb here – always use fresh lime juice, never the store-bought bottled stuff. The bottled version is usually packed with artificial preservatives and never tastes as fresh and delicious as the real deal.
- Nutmeg – Finally, my secret ingredient that truly elevates this punch from good to great! Once you experience the hint of nutmeg in your fruity punch, you’ll never have it any other way again.
How to Make Rum Punch
Just like any tried and true punch, this fruity drink is so very easy to make!
Start off by filling a fun hurricane glass with a few ice cubes.
Next, in a cocktail shaker or a mixing glass, combine all of the ingredients for rum punch with a handful of ice.
Shake or stir the drink well for a few seconds before straining the mixture into the glass.
Because this drink is a punch, you can also increase the recipe and make a large batch in a pitcher! That way, you can pour it right from the pitcher into different glasses. It will definitely feel more like a party!
Variations to Try
- If you like citrusy flavors, try adding a splash of lemonade to the mix! It’s a delicious, easy way to add a little bit more sweetness and tanginess.
- Have any kids that would like a taste? You can easily make this punch non-alcoholic by leaving out the rum. Just replace that amount of lost liquid with extra splashes of orange or pineapple juice, or lemonade.
- Try using spiced rum in combination with dark with for an extra kick of spices or replace white rum with spiced rum.
- You can also try other tropical flavored rums instead of coconut, like passionfruit or pineapple rum.
How to Serve Rum Punch
Honestly, I can enjoy a tall, cool glass of this punch anytime, anywhere! However, it’s truly the most satisfying when enjoyed in warm weather with friends. You can make it for backyard barbecues, pool parties, and girl’s nights alike!
Some of my favorite summertime foods I serve alongside this tropical punch include Tropical Shrimp Rice Bowls, Perfectly Cut Pineapple, Mango Chicken, and Pineapple Chicken Kebabs.
If you’re going to make this rum punch for your friends, you might as well go all out with the tropical vibes – right?
More Easy Tropical Drinks to Try this Summer!
Rum Runner – a sweet and fruity rum cocktail with fruit liqueurs, juices, and a hidden kick.
Bahama Mama – a sweet tropical cocktail that features coconut rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, touch of grenadine, and dark rum.
Mai Tai – a well balanced tropical cocktail that features lime juice, simple syrup, orgeat syrup, curacao, and rum.
Bay Breeze – a beautiful tropical cocktail that has only 3 ingredients.
- 1 1/2 oz coconut rum or white rum
- 1 1/2 oz dark rum
- 2 oz orange juice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz grenadine
- 1/4 oz fresh lime juice
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Fill hurricane glass with some ice about 1/2 -2/3 of the way.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine all the ingredients and a handful of ice.
- Shake well for a few seconds and strain the mixture into the glass.
- Garnish, sit back, and enjoy!
This is my favorite summer drink!