These are the greatest Scalloped Potatoes you will ever try! So creamy, so cheesy, everyone’s favorite side dish. These potatoes are thinly sliced and baked with cream sauce and cheese.
This is my family’s favorite side dish of all time. They can eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I let them, they’d eat it all day, every day. That is probably why I don’t make it too often since it’s not exactly a “skinny” side dish.
These scalloped potatoes is the epitome of comfort food and taste so good, it’s worth every calorie. It’s not just scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin, it’s both put together since it’s made with cream and cheese. So I save this special side dish for special occasions and holidays.
I actually make this dish for every holiday dinner. It’s a must-have side at our family Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and many other gatherings. These potatoes are perfect along side turkey, chicken, ham, beef, and any other protein you wish to serve.
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 13×9 casserole baking pan with some vegetable oil.
Make the cream mixture by whisking together sour cream, mayo, heavy cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and set it aside.
Slice potatoes very thin using mandoline slicer just make sure to be very careful and watch your fingers. If you don’t have a slicer available, use a sharp knife to slice potatoes thinly and the same thickness.
Spread a thin layer of cream sauce in the bottom of the baking pan. Start layering 1/2 of potatoes in one even layer. Spread 1/3 of shredded cheeses over potatoes and then 1/3 of the sauce.
Repeat potatoes, cheese and sauce two more times. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Take off the foil and bake fore another 20-30 minutes. Insert a knife in the thickest part to make sure that the potatoes are well cooked.
SOME MORE SIDE DISHES TO TRY
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
The best Scalloped Potatoes made with thinly sliced potatoes layered with cream mixture and cheese.
- 3 lbs Idaho potatoes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Green onion and parsley for garnish
- More shredded cheese for top
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 13x9 casserole baking pan with some vegetable oil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo, heavy cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Slice potatoes very thin. (You can use a mandoline slicer just remember to be very careful and watch your fingers.)
- Spread a thin layer of cream sauce in the bottom of the baking pan.
- Start layering 1/3 of potatoes in one even layer. Spread 1/3 of shredded cheeses over potatoes and then 1/3 of the sauce.
- Repeat potatoes, cheese, and sauce two more times.
- *Optional: you can add some more cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Take off the foil and bake fore another 20-30 minutes. Insert a knife in the thickest part to make sure that the potatoes are well cooked.
- *Optional: Serve with some finely chopped green onions and parsley on top.
All images and text ©Lyubov Brooke for ©Will Cook For Smiles. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If using my posts in collections and features, please link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate as most ingredients and brands have a slight variation.
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on June 13, 2011 and updated on April 15, 2019.