Scalloped potatoes just got an upgrade with chicken cordon bleu flavors packed into a creamy, cheesy potato dish. Cheesy, creamy potatoes can only get better after adding chicken and ham. It’s a comforting dinner any time of the year and a great way to use leftover ham and chicken.
Scalloped potatoes are by far my family’s favorite side dish. It definitely beats out mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes in the favorites category. My family doesn’t just ask me to make it for Christmas dinner every year, my mom even asked me to my recipe after the first time she tried it. Now that’s a big deal!
When a dish can make everyone at the table happy AND they even want a recipe to make it themselves, that’s one successful dish. Then again, what is there not to love about it? Layers of potatoes, cheese, and a smooth, creamy mixture. It’s comfort for your soul and delicious for your tummy.
The only way to make a scalloped potatoes recipe better is to start adding some other complimentary flavors to it. Fresh herbs and green onion has become kind of a “must” for me to add to my original recipe but I’ve also made it with portobello mushrooms, different combinations of cheeses, and even veggies. I guess it was time for me to try and make a complete meal out of scalloped potatoes.
I thought it might be a good idea to make this side dish into a main course, and I was totally right. Combining chicken cordon bleu flavors with scalloped potatoes turned out amazing. Layers of golden potatoes with bits of chicken and ham, and all of that smothered with cheese and creamy sauce. Yumm-my!
**If you’re trying to use up some holiday ham, this would be a very nice dish to make. You can even skip the chicken and just use your leftover ham.
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes from Cafe Delights
Twice Baked Potatoes from Garnish & Glaze
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 1 large chicken breast
- 6 oz ham
- 3 lbs gold potatoes washed well
- 10 oz Mozzarella/Provolone shredded cheese mix
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Cook chicken breast over medium heat until cooked through. Set aside to cool until it can be handled.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 13×9 baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, heavy cream, thyme, Dijon mustard and salt. Set aside.
- Dice ham and chicken and set it aside.
- If you have a mandolin slicer, slice potatoes thin. (If you don't have one just slice them thin with a knife.)
- Spread a thin layer of the cream sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and start layering a third of the potatoes. Don't stack the potatoes but rather overlap a little bit if you have to.
- Spread half of the diced chicken and diced ham over potatoes, evenly. Spread a third of cheese mix over the the meat. Sprinkle some salt on top. Drizzle some cream mixture over the cheese.
- Repeat the second layer: third of potatoes, remaining chicken and ham, and third of cheese.
- Pour some more cream sauce over the top, evenly all over.
- Layer remaining potatoes on top. Spread remaining cream mixture and cheese over the potatoes.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes until potatoes are done. You can stick a butter knife slowly in the middle and feel how easily it goes through the potatoes.
- Note: **If you're trying to use up some holiday ham, this would be a very nice dish to make. You can even skip the chicken and just use your leftover ham.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.