This is a comforting Stuffed Peppers Soup that’s made with ground beef, fresh vegetables and rice. This homemade soup holds all the wonderful flavors you will find in stuffed peppers and is so easy to make.
I love stuffed peppers and I’ve experimented with different stuffing several times. I still find the original ground beef and rice combination the best. Making a soup with those flavors was amazing. I really needed to make a soup that used something other than chicken as meat.
As I mentioned in several posts before, I like to use as many fresh ingredients as much as possible and I like to make my own stock. Great thing about ground meats (particularly red meats like pork and beef) is that it gives out a lot of juice. When I make chili, I barely have to add any stock, just a little bit. Since we are making a soup, we will add some stock but a lot of flavor with come from ground beef juices.
I also like to use different colors of bell peppers. First of all, it adds a touch of color the to soup. Second of all, each bell pepper type has a different flavor. Using 2-3 different colors of bell peppers will add extra flavor complexity to the soup.
**If you are thinking about what to do with the leftover peppers, I like to make a quick and delicious salad. I just dice the remaining peppers and dice a tomato. Mix the peppers, tomato, some feta cheese and a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste and you got yourself a delicious and healthy quick salad. **
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large tomato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 3/4 cup of dry Jasmine rice (that's my favorite but you can use whichever you like)
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat up the oil and add diced onion, tomato and peppers. Saute for a few minutes, until fragrant and onion starts to be transparent.
- Add the ground beef and mix well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is mostly cooked.
- Add the beef broth and tomato paste. Stir well until all the tomato paste is incorporated.
- Add basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Taste to make sure you have enough salt.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, covered.
- Add rice and lower the heat to low. Cover and wait until the rice is done.
- Serve once the rice is cooked.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Soups For Your Soul: