Beautiful and simple summer blueberry cake. Homemade yellow cake made with layers of fluffy, smooth cream cheese frosting and fresh, juicy blueberries.
I found a new farmer’s market last week! (Actually, I found two new farmer’s markets but I am yet to check out the one at the beach.) Anyway, I love this new one because it had many local crafts and baked goods as well as local produce. One of the booths had fresh farm picked blueberries and they were big, beautiful, sweet and cheap… Score!!
I got a bunch of blueberries and decided to make a Father’s day cake for my husband and his dad. Yeap, this was their cake that I’m sharing a little late. My father-in-law is a big fan of blueberries and my husband’s favorite frosting is cream cheese. So this cake was a combination of their favorite things.
This is a simple and elegant cake that will actually be great for any spring or summer occasion. It would also be great for patriotic and other summer holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. Just add some chopped strawberries in addition to blueberries to make a red, white and blue cake.
**Tip: Add lemon zest from one large lemon to the cake batter to create a citrusy flavor pallet.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- Zest from 1 large lemon - *optional
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 oz cream cheese packs, room temperature
- 1½ cups powder sugar (you can use 2 cups if you like it sweeter)
- ½ cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 quart fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour 3, 8-inch round baking pans. (To flour the pans: grease with cooking spray then add some flour. Pat baking pan so that it's lightly covered in flour all over the inside, then turn the pan upside down and lightly pat to discard loose flour. **I do recommend using 3 cake pans at a time because it will be much easier to divide all the batter equally among the pans.)
- Have all your ingredients ready.
- Beat butter in the electric mixer on high, for about a minute. Add sugar and beat for another minute or two, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium-high speed after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Lower the speed to low and add half the flour mixture.
- Add half the milk.
- Add remaining flour and after it's just incorporated, add remaining milk.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl (add lemon zest here, if using) and mix until all ingredients are just combined.
- Separate the batter between the 3 baking pans, evenly, and bake for 18-23 minutes.
- Carefully run a butter knife between sides of the cake pan and the cake. Let the cakes cool for about 10 minutes and then take them out of the pans. Let them cool completely on a rack before adding frosting or it will melt.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Lower the speed to low and beat-in powder sugar and vanilla.
- Turn the speed back up to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- If you want to decorate top of the cake, prepare a piping bag with 1M attachment.
- Spread a third of the frosting on the bottom layer of the cake. Spread an even layer of blueberries over the frosting. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the bottom of the second cake layer so blueberries won't slide.
- Repeat previous step for the second layer of the cake.
- You can decorate the top of the cake with remaining frosting and add more blueberries on top.
- (Refrigerate leftovers or if you are making it a day before since it is a cream cheese frosting.)
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Slow Cooker Blueberry Bread Pudding from The Gunny Sack
Blueberry Pie Bites from Sugar Dish Me
Blueberry Crumble Bars from Sprinkle Some Sugar
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes from Life, Love & Sugar
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Blueberry Deliciousness: