Wonderful summer spinach salad made with fresh blackberries, chicken and topped with homemade blackberry poppy seed vinaigrette dressing. Delightful flavor balance of savory with a touch of sweetness and fresh berries.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
“Summertime…and the livin’s easy”
Oh man, now this song will be in my head for days.
Summertime is about to be here. Only two more weeks of school left for us. Most parents freak out about that time, kids are home all day, no school. Usually, I actually look forward to summers because my son will be home all day. Part of my reasoning is totally selfish, I really, really, really hate waking up early. I am SO not a morning person and having to wake up early to get him ready for school and then drive him to school is a drag. I have to be totally caffeinated in the morning to even appear human. So summer, for me, means that we can sleep in an extra hour. Yippee!
My other reason is that I actually love the fact that he will be home with me. Yes, it does make it much harder for me to work while he is home because he demands attention. But I do feel very blessed to be working from home, even when he tries to drag me away (literally) from work.
This year, we had an unbelievably hard and stressful school year. We switched about four teachers and two schools. School has been stressful to the point of anxiety, so I am relieved for this awful school year to be over. We moved to a new, highly praised school district and after touring the new school, we feel a little better about the upcoming school year.
In the mean time, we get to enjoy a whole summer together. Two months doesn’t seem like enough, but it’s a nice break. Lots of beach time, pool time, parks, and train rides are ahead of us.
Since there is no school, we have all the free time we want to just run off somewhere for the day, which we love to do. Movies in the park are something I plan to try this year with my little man. He is not too patient when it comes to sitting thought a whole movie, so it’s on our summer bucket list this year. What’s on your summer bucket list?
Blackberry Chicken Spinach Salad with Blackberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Blackberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp poppy seeds
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 3/4 to 1 cup olive oil
- Blackberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
- Preheat a small pan over medium heat and add a little bit of vegetable oil.
- Add chopped red onion and saute until transparent.
- Add blackberries and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Raise the heat a little bit and add both vinegars and brown sugar. Mix well and simmer until liquid is reduced by about half. Stir often.
- Take off heat and add cooked mixture to the blender.
- Add poppy seeds, 1/2 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper to the blender. Blend well and add more olive oil until thinned enough.
- Transfer into a container and set aside until completely cooled.
- Keep in the refrigerator, in an air-tight container.
- For 1 Salad:
- 3 oz of fresh baby spinach and arugula salad mix
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 oz fresh blackberries
- 2 Tbsp roasted chick peas
- 2/3 cup grilled chicken chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp Blackberry Poppy Seed Vinaigrette recipe above
- Layer salad ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing on top.
- Enjoy this fresh summer salad!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Dressing Recipes: