Nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread in the house and buttering a slice of warm, homemade bread! This is a delicious, homemade savory swirl bread made with sharp cheddar cheese and a mixture of fresh herbs!
Do you follow me on Instagram? If you do, you probably saw me playing around in the kitchen last week, experimenting with a recipe. Well, this was my experiment and it came out so tasty!
I wanted to make another swirl bread but I wanted to make it savory so it would be great for different uses, not just as a snack. I dug up my old Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread recipe and made a few changes to it. I used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour and the result was definitely much better! Bread flour is better for texture, bread comes out much more soft and fluffy. I also cut baking time and the difference was quite noticeable.
What I did NOT do is remember to place my bread seam down!! Duh, Lyuba…just duh…
At first, I wasn’t going to post this since I made a mistake but then I decided that it wasn’t a big problem and actually quite adorable! I get emails from many readers telling me their funny stories with kitchen mishaps and I always tell them that I have plenty of “oops” moment myself. I always laugh at myself because it happens to the best of us and usually makes for a great story. So when you have an “oops” moment, don’t get upset, laugh about it because you will be telling that story for a while!
This bread came out super! I love that it has so many uses too. You can serve it with dinner, you can use it to make sandwiches or simply buttered with a glass of milk.
You will also notice that this recipe makes two loaves. You can make both loaves the same or you can make one of them cinnamon swirl. Simply spread cinnamon and sugar mixture (3 tsp cinnamon + 1/3 cup white granulated sugar) in the middle before rolling it up. That way you can make two different breads with one batch of dough!
(If you will be making two different types of bread, bake them separately!)
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
Cheddar Herb Swirl Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbs active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk whole or 2%
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups bread flour
- Filling will be split between two loaves:
- 3 Tbsp minced Italian parsley
- 3 Tbsp minced dill weed
- 3 cups of shredded cheddar
- Pour a cup of warm water into the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the yeast and stir gently. Give it about 10 minutes to bloom.
- Stir in melted butter, milk and salt into the water, on low speed with paddle attachment.
- While mixer is on low, gradually add 5 1/2 cups of the flour and stir to form a shaggy dough.
- Switch to dough hook attachment and knead it on low speed for 8-10 minutes to form a smooth, slightly tacky dough. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Cover the dough with a saran wrap or a towel and place in the warm dry place. Let rise for about an hour. Punch the dough once and let it rise once again, for about an hour.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Roll the dough out on the counter. Make sure that the dough is a little less wide than your loaf pan. Try to make the dough about 1/6th to 1/8th of an inch think.
- Spread minced herbs and cheese all over the dough, evenly.
- Roll up the dough and place it in the greased loaf pan, seam side down. (Don't be like me and forget to place it seam down, wink!)
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Let the loaves rise until about double in size, about 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle with some more cheese over the top.
- Bake bread for 30-35 minutes.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check Out These Great Recipes From Other Bloggers:
Easy Homemade Sandwich Bread from Domestic Fits
Cinnamon Swirl Bread from Oh Sweet Basil
Braided Pesto Bread from Baked By Rachel
Pull Apart Garlic Bread from Carmel Moments
More Bread Recipes From Me:
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!