Easy, weeknight dinner that you can make right after work. You can adjust the heat in this dish based on your personal preference but it will not be lacking in flavor. Creamy chicken and rice dish made with Cajun spices.
I had a friend coming over for dinner and a movie last week and of course, it happened to be an extremely busy day for me. So here I am, just getting home an hour before dinner time and needed to think fast. Luckily, I had chicken defrosted already. I say “luckily” because there have been
many a few times that I’ve forgotten to defrost meat and that’s how “meatless Mondays” happened at my house. Except they weren’t’ always Mondays.
So chicken defrosted, now what? I didn’t quite have a game plan (man, I was not prepared at all) and we all know what that means. Chopped time! Open your refrigerators…what do you find? “Well, Ted, I have chicken, I see some heavy cream…Ooo, wine! Let’s pull some onions, tomatoes and garlic. Shall we add cheese? Can never go wrong with cheese! Let’s spice things up…let’s make it Cajun! BAM!” (Oh yea, wrong show…)
Flavor perfection in 30 minutes!
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
Creamy Cajun Chicken & Rice
- 1.25 lb chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil if needed
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked Jasmine rice will make about 4 cups cooked
- Cook rice according to the package instructions, fluff and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat up oil and cook chicken breasts until done, over medium heat. Take out chicken and set aside to cool until it can be handled.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and raise the heat to medium-high.
- Dice onion and tomatoes and add it to the pan. Mince garlic and also add it to the pan. Saute until soft and fragrant.
- Add wine, stir and let it simmer for about a minute.
- Lower heat to medium and add heavy cream, mix well. Add spices. (Taste to check if the heat is right or if you want more cayenne.)
- Chop cooked chicken and add it to the pan with sauce. Mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese until all melted and combined.
- Serve over rice.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Cajun Margaritas from Tide and Thyme
Cajun Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo from Comfortably Domestic
Cajun Shrimp Bisque from Bev Cooks
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me: