Delicious, comforting Pasta alla Carbonara that would be perfect for any weeknight. This creamy, cheesy deliciousness is made with bacon, fresh asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes for a flavor pop.
When you do something wrong…do it right!
Comfort food is called “comfort” for a reason. It’s good for your soul but not exactly healthy. That’s why I try not to eat pasta often. Actually, I eat it quite rare. I love it, just as much as I love cheese, bread and sweets. I wish that I could eat nothing but comfort food all day every day. But that’s all it is, wishful thinking.
Even though comfort food every day is not the way to go, once in a while it’s nice to have. So when I do eat pasta, I make it worth it! Cheesy and creamy is my favorite kind. Sometimes you just crave that nice bowl of comforting pasta. I would say that Pasta alla Carbonara is my favorite next to Alfredo.
As many times as I’ve made classic Carbonara before, I still get nervous about the sauce. Sauce here is technically cooked by hot pasta. While pasta is fresh off the heat, you stir in the sauce and it’s cooked by the heat still left in pasta and the pan. It’s gently cooked and as long as you keep stirring, it will just turn into fantastic creamy sauce and won’t scramble the egg. But I still get nervous that my eggs will scramble so I while I mix in the sauce, I keep chanting:
“Keep stirring, keep stirring! Pour and stir, pour and stir!”
Works every time!
Bacon Asparagus Pasta Carbonara
- 1/2 lb dry pasta
- 8-10 asparagus spears cut in half
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 of medium yellow onion sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8-10 bacon strips
- 2/3 vegetable broth divided in 2
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Cook pasta al dente. Add asparagus to the pot when pasta is about half way done. Drain and bring pasta and asparagus back to the pot, Set aside for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and heavy cream together and mix in the cheese and some salt.
- While pasta is about half way done, preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped bacon and cook for a few minutes, until bacon fat starts to cook down.
- Add sliced onions, minced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add pasta and asparagus and mix well. Salt to taste.
- Add half of vegetable broth and heat through.
- Take skillet off heat and start adding egg mixture right away. Stir pasta quick and constant as you are adding the egg mixture until starts to thicken and becomes creamy.Mix in remaining broth and keep stirring until all smooth.
- Serve right away. Top with more grated Parmigiano if desired.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Creamy Avocado Spinach Pasta from Jo Cooks
Mushroom Florentine Pasta from She Wears Many Hats
Pizza Lasagna Rolls from Rachel Cooks
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio from Nosh On It
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!