Dreamy simple double chocolate cupcakes. These treats are made with chocolate chips inside and topped with divine white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
Today’s post is a very sad and heartbreaking one, as we say goodbye to a wonderful blogging friend. Last week, I was shocked to receive devastating news that Joan Hayes from Chocolate, Chocolate and More passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. The news shocked me to the core. I sat there for a while just re-reading the announcement and hoping that it was not true. It was one of those moments where you keep hoping that someone is just playing a cruel joke because that would be better than the truth.
The news was devastating and our blogging community will not be the same after this loss. Joan was a wonderful person with a big heart. She was a friend and a mentor to many of us. We will never be able to forget her, she will live on in all our hearts.
Joan started her blog pretty close to the time I started mine and there was never a treat she shared that I didn’t want to try. And trust me, she had many, many desserts, sweets and treats on her site. I will continue to drool and try many of her treats and I hope you will also use her site to help you find dessert recipes to try. It was Joan’s wish that her site lives on even is she does not and her sister, together with their cousin, will keep her site going, bringing everyone new treats.
Chocolate, chocolate and more was an income source to Joan and her three beautiful children. It is the least we could do, as a blogging community, to try and keep her site going and share it with as many people as possible. So in Joan’s memory, many food bloggers will be sharing chocolate desserts today. Joan believed that no day should pass without chocolate and today, as we say goodbye to this sweet lady, I hope you will get inspired to eat some chocolate or even bake a chocolate treat!
Double Chocolate Cupcakes (with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting)
- Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups of hot water
- 2½ cups of flour
- 1¼ cup of sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ¾ cups of vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 oz baking white chocolate bar s
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powder sugar more if desired
- Grated white chocolate bar or chips optional
- Preheat the over to 350. Lightly spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and line it with cupcake liners.
- In a small sauce pot, mix water with unsweetened cocoa powder. Bring to a low boil. Cook for about a minute and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Separately, whisk together vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs and sour cream.
- On low speed, slowly pour in the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Once it's combined, bring the speed up to medium and beat for about two minutes.
- Lower speed to low again and slowly pour in hot cocoa. Mix until just combined. Turn off mixer.
- Using a spatula, scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, continue mixing with a spatula until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ of the way, and bake for 18-20 minutes. Do a toothpick test at 18 minutes to check for doneness.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and vanilla extract.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- (I prefer to melt my chocolate in a double boiler because it always yields best results. You can also melt it in a microwave at half power for 45 seconds, stir and do another 30 seconds, still on half power . (Repeat another 30 seconds if needed.) When chocolate is almost all melted, just keep stirring until it's all melted.)
- On low speed, drizzle in melted white chocolate and mix well, make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all even.
- Fill a piping bag, fitted with a frosting tip, with cream cheese frosting and frost cooled cupcakes. (I recommend using 1M frosting tip.)
- You can grate some white chocolate on top as a decoration. I actually created a little "snow dust" decoration by grating white chocolate chips on a zester.
Some of my favorite recipes from Chocolate, Chocolate and More:
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!