Beautiful, simple summer salad, ideal for lunch on a hot day. Fresh tomatoes on a vine layered with fresh mozzarella cheese, topped with delicious white balsamic reduction and fresh basil.
How is everyone’s summer going?
It has been hotter than hell down here, in FL. We’ve been trying to stay busy this summer but it’s so hot that we’ve been frequenting the beach, marina park, farmer’s markets and all that good stuff. I just discovered a new farmer’s market that is right on the beach a few days ago. So next week, we are hitting the beach early in the morning and then the farmer’s market. I heard they have great fresh produce there and I can’t wait to get a few baskets of veggies and fruit.
I know that the first thing I will be making as soon as we get home, is this Fresh Caprese Salad. It’s my absolute favorite salad and the best thing about it is the white vinegar reduction.
I really hope that I’m not the only one who’s been in the dark about white balsamic vinegar. My friend Nicky, from Nicky D Cooks, told me about caprese salad (and her killer Five Cheese Penne recipe) that she was making for a cooking class and she said that she always used white balsamic. I was quite embarrassed that I didn’t even know that there was a white balsamic vinegar. She actually never reduced her vinegar when making balsamic so I recommended that she tried that. I had to run to the store and get a bottle of white balsamic vinegar and then run home and make myself a salad with it. She messaged me the next day telling me that she tried my reduction and loved it. That is why I love having chef friends because we get to learn from each other all the time.
And let me just tell you, reduction with white balsamic is SO much tastier than dark balsamic vinegar. I’ve been missing out for years and I hope that you will try it as soon as possible if you haven’t yet! The taste is a lot crispier, a little sweeter and grape is much more pronounced. Deliciousness!
Fresh Caprese Salad with White Balsamic Reduction (tom on a vine; nickyD)
- 2 large tomatoes on a vine
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 10 large basil leaves
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- Balsamic reduction: Whisk white balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp of honey in a small sauce pot, over medium-high heat, and bring mixture to simmer. Once it starts to simmer, turn the heat down to medium. Let vinegar slow simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture coats the spoon. It will take 7-10 minutes but please note, that it will start to thicken fast during the last couple of minutes so keep an eye on it. Set aside once it thickens.
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into even slices and dice basil leaves. Layer tomato slices alternating with mozzarella slices and sprinkle basil over the top.
- Drizzle white balsamic vinegar reduction over all over the salad.
Check out more salad ideas from these great bloggers:
Avocado Caprese Chicken Salad from Joyful Healthy Eats
Caprese Garlic Bread from Two Peas in Their Pod
Caprese Chicken from The Novice Chef
One Pan Caprese Pasta from Yellow Bliss Road