Delicious, comforting pumpkin ale soup. This soup is easy and made with fresh pumpkin, pumpkin beer and some cream and cheese for delicious creamy texture.
Best way to deal with a cold is a nice, comforting bowl of soup. We’ve been a bit under the weather this weekend, so I made us some tasty pumpkin ale soup with grilled cheese. Dipping gooey grilled cheese into this warm, creamy soup is the best!
Now, chances are, you will have to use a pumpkin that’s bigger than 1.5 lbs since a pound and a half is really not much. There are lots of things you can do with the leftover pumpkin. You can make hand pies or turnovers, you can saute pumpkin slices and add it to grilled cheese, and you can add it to breakfast dishes like omelets and frittatas. (You can also check out my book, The Pumpkin Lover’s Cookbook, for many ways to use fresh pumpkin.)
Pumpkin Ale Soup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 shallots
- 2 medium carrots
- 1.5 lb pumpkin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup pumpkin ale or beer
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Peel and dice shallots, carrots and pumpkin. (Make sure to scoop out all the seeds and springy insides of the pumpkin too.) Set side.
- Melt butter in a medium pot, over medium heat.
- Add diced shallot and saute until fragrant. Add carrots and pumpkin, stir well and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pressed garlic and stir well.
- Sprinkle flour, stir until combined.
- Add pumpkin ale, while stirring, and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring slowly.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, broth, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until pumpkin is soft.
- Stir in thyme, heavy cream and cheese.
- Transfer soup to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Soup is ready to serve, or you can transfer it back into the pot (not over heat) to keep warm while making grilled cheese.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup with Maple Bacon from Real Food and Ice Cream
Jalapeno Popper Soup from Busy At Home
Creamy Cauliflower Soup from Yummy Healthy Easy
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup from Joyful Healthy Eats
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Soup Recipes: