2 lbs of fresh tomatoes or 2 cans of tomatoes
1 tsp of sugar
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dry basil
(bouillon cube optional, I am not a fan, but if you prefer it, go for it)
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup four
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup milk
1. Run tomatoes through the food processor.
2. Pour tomatoes into a large pot.
3. Stir in the salt, pepper, bay leaf, basil, (bouillon cube if using)
4. Bring to boil (be careful it will spatter and it is hot!), reduce heat to medium to medium low and cover with a lid, leaving a little crack for steam to escape.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes.
~ While the tomatoes are cooking…
6. In a saucepan…melt the butter over medium heat
7. Whisk in the four to form a roux, cook for about a minute stirring constantly.
8. Slowly pout in the milk and heavy cream stirring constantly. Cook until thickened (about 5 minutes)
9. Stir the milk mixture into the tomatoes slowly. Mix well.
10. Cook for about 5-10 minutes.