*Disclosure: I created my fresh Tomato Bisque Soup as part of a sponsored post for Walmart Produce and Socialstars #WalmartProduce. All opinions are my own!*
This is a fantastic homemade, fresh Tomato Bisque that you can enjoy any time of the year, even in the summer, made with a side of Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese Dipping Sticks. So fun and delicious!
I gotta say, this is one DE-elicious lunch!
Tomato bisque is actually one of my favorite soups and I just realized how long it’s been since I made myself some of this soup. Little man enjoys this soup with me too, especially if there is a grilled cheese involved!
I used to make my Tomato Bisque with canned tomatoes but after making it with fresh tomatoes, I’ll never go back! I actually have two versions of this soup on my blog – one is really fattening and another is made with shrimp. They are both really good, don’t get me wrong, but this simple light version is the best!
Best part about this meal are the grilled cheese dipping sticks! Oh…my…gawd! Best idea ever!
I really wish that I could take full credit for the dipping sticks but I actually got this idea from Anne during one of the Worst Cooks in America episodes. I love that show and watch it all the time. When I heard Anne say “how about making grilled cheese into dipping sticks?” I through why in the world did I not think of that? That’s gold!
I ran into WalMart the other day and saw come gorgeous tomatoes on the front display. I knew that I needed to make some Tomato Bisque soup right then! Those beautiful tomatoes needed to be used in something delicious…and they were!
I love that WalMart carries fresh, farmer picked produce with a 100% money back guarantee. This is great news for me because my closest farmer’s marker is way too far away.
Tomato Bisque with Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese Dippers
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp softened butter for the roux
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour for the roux
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 4-6 oz smoked Gouda cheese
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. While water is boiling, make criss-cross cuts on top if tomatoes, just enough to break the skin. Place tomatoes, top up, in a colander. Pour boiling hot water, slowly, over tomatoes. After that you will be able to pill the skin off tomatoes very easily with your hands. Peel all tomatoes.
- Preheat a medium pot on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Chop onion and tomatoes and add them to the pot.
- Add bay leaf, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir well and cover. Once it starts to low boil, turn the heat down to medium low and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out bay leaf and transfer the mixture into the food processor. Blend until smooth. Mix soft butter and flour until it makes smooth paste (roux) and add it to the blender. Add heavy cream and blend all well.
- Transfer back to the pot, stir in minced basil, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- Cut the bread and cheese into thin slices and make the grilled cheese sticks.
- Serve right away!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!