Amazing recipe to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers after the holiday dinner. Finger-licking-good grilled cheese made with turkey breast, smooth melted brie cheese, and cranberry sauce.
Did I mention that I live in the future as a food blogger? Oh yes, I did. So while you are still trying to figure out your Thanksgiving menu, I am already eating leftovers. Oh boy, was this ever-so-good! I made it twice already this week and I can’t get enough. I better stop through, or I won’t be so excited about eating anything on Thanksgiving.
So I discovered something this week. While I was planning on making some Thanksgiving leftover recipes, I really didn’t want to buy an entire turkey and cook it just to make some leftovers. Actually, it’s been a really long time sine I’ve made an entire turkey. I am usually responsible for side dishes and dessert for Thanksgiving dinner but not the turkey. So I never even have the need to make one. Surely I didn’t want to make one just for a few leftover recipes.
While shopping for groceries, I found something that made me very excited. You may already know this, but I found single, raw turkey breasts for sale! Yes…single turkey breasts that you can cook as you like. I feel like I was living under a rock. I’ve gotten ground turkey plenty of times but never even paid attention to the turkey breast. Well that was just perfect. Exactly what I needed to give you a few ideas on what to do with your leftovers. So I hope you enjoy this one because I definitely did!
Turkey – use leftover turkey breast or turkey thigh meat. (You can also make this grilled cheese any time of the year, no need to wait to leftovers!)
Brie – each grilled cheese will need about 3 oz. of Brie. Make sure to cut the rind off or it will add bitterness.
Cranberry sauce – use your favorite cranberry sauce, weather it’s homemade or canned.
Bread – it’s best to use deli-fresh bread because it has the signature crusty outside and soft and plush inside. Use Italian loaf, sourdough, or deli white.
Prepare all of your ingredients ahead of time since this is a fast and easy recipe.
Spread Brie cheese evenly on each slice of bread and if it’s very soft, you will need to spread it vs. just slice it.
Preheat a large cooking pan over medium to medium-low heat. Lightly grease the pan with olive oil or oil spray and place the bread slices, Brie side up.
Add sliced turkey on two of the of the slices and spread cranberry sauce over the turkey. Let the grilled cheese halves heat through and melt the cheese. Once cheese is melted, place one half of bread over the other one with the toppings. Gently press.
Once the bread is nice and golden, take the sandwiches off the heat, cut in half, and serve.
Some More Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas:
Turkey Cranberry Brie Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices deli Italian of sourdough bread slices
- 6 oz roasted turkey breast sliced
- 6 oz Brie cheese rind cut off, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp cranberry sauce
- Note: this recipes makes two grilled cheese sandwiches but you can just as easily cut the recipe in half to make one or double to make more!
- Preheat a large pan over medium to medium-low heat and lightly grease it.
- Place bread in the pan and divide brie slices among all four slices of bread. Let it start melting. (Note: if Brie is too soft, you may need to spread it on the bread first, before adding it to the pan.)
- Layer turkey breast over two slices of bread and then spread cranberry sauce over the turkey.
- Cover with second slice of bread and press lightly.
- Finish cooking the grilled cheeses until bread is golden and cheese is melted. Take them out of the pan, cut in half, and serve.
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on November 6, 2014.