1 medium butternut squash
2 medium gold potatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 tbs butter
2 garlic cloves
About 2-3 cups of vegetable stock (just enough to cover the veggies)
Salt, fresh cracked pepper
1/4 tsp of paprika
1 small bay leaf
2 tbs heavy cream
1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese
Sour cream, chives and croutons for garnish
1. Heat and melt the butter in a medium pot, on medium heat.
2. Peel and seed the squash. Chop it into small cubes.
3. Peel and chop the potatoes.
4. Add the onion, butternut squash and potatoes to the pot.
5. Add paprika, salt and pepper and saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add just enough stock to barely cover the veggies. (This is also where I like to add the minced garlic). Cook until the veggies are fully cooked, 10-15 minutes.
7. Slowly transfer the content of the pot into a food processor, make sure to crack the lid to let the steam out. Blend well and return to the pot.
8. Add the heavy cream and cheese. Stir until all blended. Be careful here, the soup will bubble and splash when it starts to heat up. Keep stirring. When cheese is melted, soup is all done.
9. Serve with a dollop of soup cream, chives and croutons.